Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Tue May 28, 2024 4:00 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted:  

Like many others (incl serious seekers of Truth), I was an agnostic for several years. The one good thing about being agnostic was I had a simple, somewhat satisfying response when reading about Events of Tragedy : "There is no one to blame."

If a tsunami hit that wiped out communities, killed 100,000+ people, there was no god to blame. A disease knocked off thousands of people in a yr - every yr - there was no god to blame. A simple response? Nature did it. That's life, kids.

When I suffered a Big Kick in my own life, it was not so easy being nonchalant. Where could I get Some Relief??

............Now a firm believer in the Father, His Majesty, His Plan, His Wisdom (and the Urantia Book), I enjoy my good days and good yrs. I do not Like to suffer!! I d not relish bad days and bad yrs! BUT I now feel better either way...... AND I do not have any god to blame!! "That's life" is still the same - and yet it is not the same.

Love to all

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Many, maybe most of us who find the UB have made that journey. I think it may be a sort of necessary “right of passage”. This is, I suspect what being “born again” is really all about; You give up the cozy warmth and relative security you have, and launch into a new and seemingly hostile environment. But the agnostic rejections of what seemed absolute at one time, birth you into a new world of wonder and growth. Not all are ready to become agnostic to the comfortable dogma they were raised with. But for those who have induced the contractions, they are in for one heck of a ride! :shock:
I spend a lot of time posting with atheists and agnostics. I like them for their honesty and their fortitude. I only wish they would not have to throw out spirituality as a possibility. They give up one restricted view of reality for another restricted view, and tend to take on a rather condescending view of anyone whose understanding goes beyond the physical realm.
These are mostly very good, very moral folks. Too bad their label seems to conjure negative stereotypes. In a recent exchange, many admitted they wish there really were a God; They like the concept, but could not swallow current models.
We Uber’s really need to befriend them. Our new friend Jim, has been over to the “Debating Christianity and other Religions” site, and says he agrees that there is a genuine hunger there. Y’all might want to stop by and do your “Johnny Appleseed” impression for them… :wink:

Bro Dave

IMperfection... the REAL Gift.

Post subject: about agnosticism.
PostPosted:  

:smile: someone asked : what is the difference between an athiest and an agnostic ? An agnostic is an athiest who reserves 10% in case he's wrong. :P :wink: 8)

Post subject: Re: about agnosticism.
PostPosted:  

I think Atheists and Agnostics are just thinking folks who do not believe in the falible, angry, fearfully unfair god they've been shown. After all, God is INFINITE, and no matter how hard you try to use finite minds to express INFINITY via the limitations of language,(which is totally limited to human experiences) you come up short. I like the honesty of those who make the effort to admit the shortcomings of these descriptions. The problems arise when they now seem to feel obligated not to believe in ANY benevolant Superior Intelligence, and are left all alone by their free choice. :(

Bro Dave

IMperfection... the REAL Gift.

Post subject: re: agnostics
PostPosted:  

:smile: hi! bro Dave, you are entirely right about that. the person who told me that joke was himself an agnostic, or so he said. this was just one of those sayings , like the one that some people sometime ask me, what kind of a catholic are you, most of the time it is asked derisively. Since I no longer consider myself a catholic , my usual reply is: episcopalian, and leave them with that. :P :razz: 8) :roll:

Post subject: Funny thing is
PostPosted:  

The words themselves. Take a look at Atheist and Theist, Atheist is A followed by theist. I like to point this out to sundry Atheist at other boards. They are A Theist even though they deny it. 8) :lol:

Jesus's peace be with you

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]