Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Wed May 29, 2024 11:25 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted:  

Isn’t there some guy or girl, or whatever (gender and identity are pliable on the Internet) using the name Caligastia? I don’t really pay enough attention to be sure if it’s really him or not. Maybe I’m not who I am. Whatever happened to that young face in the mirror? Thinking about the Big C got me wondering about the rebellion. What did Caligastia do that was so bad? After all, he supported individual rights, freedom of expression, and doin’ your own thang, all concepts that we Americans just love to death. So, where did he go wrong?

There are two ideas that I wish to discuss from The Urantia Book. The first is liberty vs. license. Lucifer started the rebellion by stating that all creatures should “enjoy the liberty of individual self-determination” (604.1). And indeed all freewill creatures like us do enjoy self-determination. God does not interfere in the choices of individual personalities. The rebellion showed that God allows beings to make choices. The problem comes not from a lack of liberty, but from an abundance of self-focused, self-interest. The book accuses Lucifer of “self-contemplation”, a more complicated way of saying he was selfish (601.5). Because we live in a universe jammed packed with other beings, we need to limit our activities or risk hurting other beings. A universe consisting of a vast network of interactive relationships requires individuals to consider the needs of others. The alternative is “abject bondage” the result of license (613.7). If all I ever do is satisfy my own needs, I end up taking from others. Caligastia agreed with the Lucifer declaration of liberty and declared himself absolute ruler of Urantia (755.3) and “God of Urantia and supreme over all” (755.6). Caligastia declares independence, and we all end up under his boot. So much for liberty and justice for all. The Urantia Book says; true liberty is self-respect and self-control. False liberty is self-admiration and self-assertion (614.1).

The second idea from the rebellion revolves around the importance and unimportance of time. Time is important because of the need to gain experience. Lucifer tried to short circuit the time element in a universe where spiritual advancement is grounded in experience. The Urantia Book says that all of us partake in the “thrilling experience of contributing something personal and unique to the slowly erecting monument of experiential wisdom” (615.0). Through our experiences we grow in wisdom and spirituality, and we contribute to the experiential wisdom of the cosmos. Lucifer and Caligastia wanted to cut short the time required to achieve the kind of experiences that improves the individual and the cosmos. Impatience also ruined Adam and Eve’s mission (840.2). Positive experiences that contribute to the advancement of the universe cannot be obtained without the passage of time.

As you can see time is important, however, the amount of time required to achieve goals is unimportant. Lucifer attacked the large group of finaliters assembling on the outer worlds. They had been assembling on the worlds of our local universe for a long time without an obvious purpose. He said that they were proof that there was no future destiny for the inhabitants of worlds like ours (604.1). Where he had made a mistake in his reasoning is he assumed that by taking a large amount of time before the start of their new mission they were proving that there was no mission. However, the universe is eternal and the destiny of finaliters stretches into eternity as well. This makes the amount of time it takes for them to prepare for their future mission moot. It is the same with all beings who have faith in God and therefore have embraced the universe adventure. None of us have a time limit on our experiential existence. We have all the time there is to learn and grow and live in a cosmos without end. And how long it takes for us to reach the presence of God and then go beyond just doesn’t matter.

Once again, time is important for the gathering of experience. The amount of time it takes to gain experience that is positive and uplifting is not important.

Where has the time gone? The older I get the faster time passes in front of my unfocused eyes. I must dash for I have places to go, people to see and experiences to acquire that are important in the goal of eternity. But as time rushes through my life like the wind, I realize the old saying is true; it’s the journey that counts. How much time it takes, or where I end up along the way is not as important as the direction I am moving in. The goal is communion with God, and helping God’s children as I pass by. I don’t have to worry about punching a time clock.

God Bless You,

Bill
www.simplemansub.info
A Simple Man's Understanding of the Most Wonderful Book on the Earth.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Excellent essay Bill. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Hello Bill,

I would have maybe offered a response-answer to your question, but as with your usual offerings, you ask a question and then proceed to answer it yourself. You do this on all the sites where you plant these teaching essays and they rarely get many or any substantiative responses. It's actually a little aggravating on discussion boards where most persons are used to seeing questions asked and then the members can assist the questioner with answers or commentary for their knowledge and experience.

Perhaps you would consider rephrasing these pieces so that you are not asking a question, which turns out to be rhetorical every time, and then answering yourself, leaving little else to add to your post behind you.

Sincerely,

Vann

http://z7.invisionfree.com/URANTIAFORUMS/index.php

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

p62:3 5:1.1 The inability of the finite creature to approach the infinite Father is inherent, not in the Father's aloofness, but in the finiteness and material limitations of created beings. The magnitude of the spiritual difference between the highest personality of universe existence and the lower groups of created intelligences is inconceivable. Were it possible for the lower orders of intelligence to be transported instantly into the presence of the Father himself, they would not know they were there. They would there be just as oblivious of the presence of the Universal Father as where they now are. There is a long, long road ahead of mortal man before he can consistently and within the realms of possibility ask for safe conduct into the Paradise presence of the Universal Father. Spiritually, man must be translated many times before he can attain a plane that will yield the spiritual vision which will enable him to see even any one of the Seven Master Spirits.

Last edited by Bonita on Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:35 am +0000, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

As James Taylor sings, “The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.” I wonder if Lucifer and Caligastia were aware that they were suddenly no longer enjoying the passage of time when they decided to default?

What kind of unavoidable and less than enjoyable difficulties must they have heaped on their shoulders in order to maintain their false, unattractive and evil reality in the midst of the very truth, beauty and goodness that gave them life? It is still hard to comprehend such a rebellion but perhaps that’s the benefit of the mortal ascension plan. We are allowed time to comprehend, allowed the freedom to invest our time as we will, and allowed the time to enjoy the perfection process in advance of our one day also becoming administrators for the Father in regions outside the Master Universe.

All the best, Ray

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Quote:
What kind of unavoidable and less than enjoyable difficulties must they have heaped on their shoulders in order to maintain their false, unattractive and evil reality in the midst of the very truth, beauty and goodness that gave them life? It is still hard to comprehend such a rebellion

"Neither do genuine believers trouble themselves so much about the future punishment of sin. The real believer is only concerned about present separation from God." 2017:05

Last edited by Bonita on Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:34 am +0000, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Friends,
Thanks for you kind posts. One question, Iris, what in the world is that a picture of?

Peace,
Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

p62:4 5:1.2 Our Father is not in hiding; he is not in arbitrary seclusion. He has mobilized the resources of divine wisdom in a never-ending effort to reveal himself to the children of his universal domains. There is an infinite grandeur and an inexpressible generosity connected with the majesty of his love which causes him to yearn for the association of every created being who can comprehend, love, or approach him; and it is, therefore, the limitations inherent in you, inseparable from your finite personality and material existence, that determine the time and place and circumstances in which you may achieve the goal of the journey of mortal ascension and stand in the presence of the Father at the center of all things.

Last edited by Bonita on Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:37 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Imagine one day you wake up to find that your left ear and two of your fingers have decided to dis-attach them selves from you and go off in to the world independent of you.

That is how i see the rebellion.. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

J. Barry

Funny you should use "fingers" as part of your allegoric representation of Caligastia and Lucifer, as I mentioned on another thread that the angels and celestial beings are all "fingers of God"... didn't get any response though...

KP

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Iris,

What kind of flowers? They look like pansies.

Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Oh hello little post that was hidding from me in the corner over here and is totally awesome!

Wow really cool essay brother Bill. One thing that baffels me the most about the whole rebellion is what lives did they live before they got to where they were when they defaulted? If that makes any sense. Let me explain: We are humans and one of the lowest will creatures in the entire master universe, and yet we get given a revolation and are able to change our tiny miniscul lives for the better and progress inward (at least those of us who choose to once we learn we can i.e. TUB) and I can imagine myself progressing through millions of stages and learning how to serve all creatures not just human. I can envision myself humblely progressing inward throughout the entire master universe and all of exsistance, and I do it ALL ON FAITH!!!

Are you bamboozeling me? They are awesome angles with first hand experience of god and Michael of Nebadon and all the bitchen stuff then they throw in the towel? i don't get it. No way does that happen? He must have had some grudge about the length of time and thats all I can think of. Thats all I got, why else would he throw a curve ball into the whole scheme of things? COME ON I call B.S. something is missing from this story. Does anyone else think like this? I can handle it if I stepped over board and if so I truly appologize to anyone that I might have offeneded I just really feel deeply about this subject.

I doesn't make sense because in my opinion god says Hey check this out everyone huddle up! ...Ok you have as long as it takes to get perfect even as I am perfect and kicker is that you progress at your own speed but it is my desire that all my children return home. Go ahead and have your fun you have earned it, but make sure to be mindful about getting selfish and self centered because it will end in your demise.

HELLO GOD JUST TOLD YOU TO WATCH OUT FOR THAT! and others tried to warn him too but he says, aww what does god know? I'm going to do it this way anyway? BULL SH_T!!! no way it's hard to buy into that because he knows god knows everything we as humans just rely on revolations, and hear say pretty much untill Jesus came down and revealed the fathers love to us through him and then we were like oh man god is not just one of our fondest imaginitive creations he/she exsist because how else could such a wonderful human live in the light and love as Jesus unless what he said was true. I get that part and it hits home to me every time I think about it.

But Satan, and Calagastia and the other rebels could SEE GODS BEDROOM and could peek into his living room blinds and see him relaxing watching the 49ers play on Sunday and still convinced themselves that they were right and deserved to be heard.

WOW thats all I can say is WOW because it doesn't make sense to my small brain, but then again it doesn't have too who am I to act like I have to understand everything? Nobody and everybody at the same time. How is it that I can understand that everything i do and say and think for that matter effects everyone and everything not just myself. If you take a link from a chain the whole system collapses. <-- basic two brained mortal stuff here. How could he love himself that much to not care what happens to everyone else because of it? How could he not care?

He must have progressed and learned many lessons along his journey to get where he was, and to throw it all away? I don't buy that he thought he was perfect already because he could clearly see others who were more advanced than he was so to see that he must know that he hadn't obtained the level they were at so therefore he must not be perfect!

Also, It's not like god is unseen up there, its not like his presence isn't felt all the time, it's not like they truly thought that God didn't exsist and this was all just a sick game that one of the creator suns was playing. Too much to think about but its upsetting to me to know that someone who quite possible started off just like me then lost his way in the darkness and convinced himself that he was the only thing in exsistance that mattered. That means that all of us have that possibility and frankly I don't even want to know about any defaults or any rebellions because I don't even want my own free will to be able to do such horrible things that will effect so many others. It kinda trips me out to think about because I was hoping that my animal instincts and tendencies towards evil will be gone as soon as I leave this world. But hey as long as I have my faithful companion throught this whole thing then I am ready for the challenge.

Thanks for listening guys/gals hope this doesn't change your opinions of me but it got underneath my chin on this one.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

p63:1 5:1.3 Although the approach to the Paradise presence of the Father must await your attainment of the highest finite levels of spirit progression, you should rejoice in the recognition of the ever-present possibility of immediate communion with the bestowal spirit of the Father so intimately associated with your inner soul and your spiritualizing self.

Last edited by Bonita on Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:38 am +0000, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Bro_dave...I do understand your astonishment. I also struggled w/this whole scenerio, and on my first read...all I can say is that it struck me more like sci-fi. There are areas in the UB that I do not understand (probably never will while in this body) and areas that I just can't accept.
The whole concept, as you stated:
Are you bamboozeling me? They are awesome angles with first hand experience of god and Michael of Nebadon and all the bitchen stuff then they throw in the towel? i don't get it. No way does that happen?

I've started to bring this up myself but there are already numerous posts/threads/articles on the topic (I'm sure someone can provide those links). I doubt if I can add to what has already been said. But...I see it as pretty much the same problem that mortals have..ego. Since the Lanonandeks are "brought into existence" and are not ascendant creatures, it isn't defined as "ego"....

p604:4 53:4.2 Self-assertion was the battle cry of the Lucifer rebellion. One of his chief arguments was that, if self-government was good and right for the Melchizedeks and other groups, it was equally good for all orders of intelligence. He was bold and persistent in the advocacy of the "equality of mind" and "the brotherhood of intelligence."

It seems they share(d) in the same struggles as we mortals, although on a different level. The more "intellectual" we are (or think we are) the more deserving or entitled we can begin to "think" we are. Apparently this very human flaw was greatly magnified w/these higher beings?

p392:1 35:8.1 After the creation of the Vorondadeks, the Creator Son and the Universe Mother Spirit unite for the purpose of bringing into existence the third order of universe sonship, the Lanonandeks. Although occupied with varied tasks connected with the system administrations, they are best known as System Sovereigns, the rulers of the local systems, and as Planetary Princes, the administrative heads of the inhabited worlds.

p392:15 35:8.9 Since Lanonandeks are a somewhat lower order of sonship than the Melchizedeks and the Vorondadeks, they are of even greater service in the subordinate units of the universe, for they are capable of drawing nearer the lower creatures of the intelligent races. They also stand in greater danger of going astray, of departing from the acceptable technique of universe government. But these Lanonandeks, especially the primary order, are the most able and versatile of all local universe administrators. In executive ability they are excelled only by Gabriel and his unrevealed associates.

At first I felt astonishment and dismay while reading this section of the book. But upon further reading and reflection, it actually gave me hope. If Caligastia and his minions were given every chance (still could be) to gain a bit of humility by admitting they had committed a gross act of self-will, then I'm in a pretty darn good position of being forgiven for all my misunderstandings and errors. And if I can be still be desired by my Creator, in spite of my flaws, then the possibilities for the rest of this confused world are outstanding :idea: .

p615:3 54:3.1 The moral will creatures of the evolutionary worlds are always bothered with the unthinking question as to why the all-wise Creators permit evil and sin. They fail to comprehend that both are inevitable if the creature is to be truly free. The free will of evolving man or exquisite angel is not a mere philosophic concept, a symbolic ideal. Man's ability to choose good or evil is a universe reality. This liberty to choose for oneself is an endowment of the Supreme Rulers, and they will not permit any being or group of beings to deprive a single personality in the wide universe of this divinely bestowed liberty—not even to satisfy such misguided and ignorant beings in the enjoyment of this misnamed personal liberty.

Peace
Jo

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Awesome comments Jo! 8) I'd like to add a few of my own.

Hi Dave,

No matter where we are on the scale of life, we are all still children of God. You may find it disturbing to think that a beautiful Lanonandek son that was "born" into privilege and with such loving parents would never go astray. Lucifer was regarded as a very wise, beautiful being that would never leave off from the universal mandate for creature ascension. How could one with so much, wisdom, knowledge and love, enter into rebellion against his local universe parents?

Our Heavenly Father could have made us like automatons. We could all have been programmed to love and obey the Father because it would have been something programmed into our natures. But how would you feel if the people that you loved gave you this love involuntarily? Would you really feel loved? There is nothing like the feeling you get when you know that you are loved by someone voluntarily. There are no strings attached. You love that person because of the kind of person that he/she is. You choose to love another because you want to love that person. You are never coerced to do so.

The great gift that our Father gave us is autonomy. We have the sweetest gift of free will. We choose a course, whether good or bad, because that gift is so precious to the Father, that he will not interfere with the gift that he gave us.

Isn't it true though that the Father has infinite wisdom, knowledge, discernment and intelligence? We know that he can see things from all angles. We are always limited in our understanding. And even though a person may have a greater mind, such as Lucifer had, he too was limited in his understanding. He came to believe that his power, understanding, wisdom and intelligence was greater than the Father. He came to believe that his way of doing things was superior. The Father did not interfere with his decisions because our wills are respected by our Father, whether good or bad. But there was something that Lucifer forgot to consider. He forgot to consider, that despite his freedom to make choices according to his will, his view would always be limited. His love for God should have trumped his desires for something better. He should have realized that, given time, his misgivings would find a satisfactory answer. So, not only should he have given it some time, he should have humbly waited on God for the answer.

We only need to look at our earth and the fruits of his rebellion. Look at all the misery and heartache that has resulted because of Lucifer's declaration of liberty. If his way of looking at things was so advanced and so filled with light, why have things gone the way that they have on this earth?

No matter how far advanced we become as the ages progress, we will never reach the level of our infinite Father. We need to humbly acknowledge our limitations. We never want to become too big for our britches. Lucifer should have stayed humble as a little child because all of us have had a finite existence. Even if we have lived billions of years, the infinite Father's years are beyond counting. So, even if Lucifer had lived for billions of years and held a high position as a system sovereign, he had no reason to boast or feel that his wisdom could ever trump the wisdom of the Father. No matter how old he became or how much wisdom, knowledge and experience he gained, he was still a child in God's eyes.

Don't forget Dave that Lucifer and Caligastia had never actually seen the Father. They would eventually ascend to the Father as we humans will ascend to the Father. They believed that their local universe parents were lying to them about the eternal Father and that they were misusing their power to keep their children in ignorance and slavery.

The key to their downfall Dave is that they forgot their love for the Father. Our love for the Father will prevent us from taking a step that could lead into rebellion. Because God gave us the gift of free will, there is a possibility that we could stray. But if we remind ourselves that we have the life that we have because of the love of our Father, the temptation to rebel will fade away.

Love,
Mr. Shakita

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next