Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Wed May 29, 2024 11:41 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted:  

Looks like TUB is spot on about the number of planets in our solar system. (12 predicted)

The latest addition ( though not official yet) is Xena which is about a third bigger again than Pluto.

http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/stories/s1560563.htm

That brings the count up to ten. On a radio Science report, one astronomer was quoted as saying he expects "

at least another one or even two bigger planets to be found in the not too distant future. And that fits perfectly with TUB.

Even so, some astronomers are fudging by calling the latest planet called Xena, a "Kuiper belt object" instead of a proper planet. Other's are looking to demote Pluto to a quasi-planet.

Equally as interesting, astronomers have found another object they named "BuffY" (because it might end up slaying the conventional theory of how our solar system was formed).. Turns out it is in a high angle orbit to the Sun, that could possibly only have come about as a result of an interaction with another closely passing star...

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn8455
Remember Angona...?
My my, we certainly live in interesting times...
Aquafire

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Welcome Aquafire!

Here's an article about 2003 UB313 from a slightly different perspective of a source dedicated to astronomy.
http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/0 ... lanet.html

Aquafire says:"Even so, some astronomers are fudging by calling the latest planet called Xena, a "Kuiper belt object" instead of a proper planet. Other's are looking to demote Pluto to a quasi-planet."

Astronomers agree just about as often as UB readers. As I disagree with you that some astronomers are fudging. It will be the International Astronomical Union which decides this issue. Not you or me.
http://www.iau.org/

Randy

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Hi guys,

Yeah this is another sticky wicket for "accepted" human science to sort out.

I was reading an article about this...I think it was in the science section on cnn.com the other day discussing this stuff. The article stated that the science group that has the "official" responsiblity of say....giving a new planet a name....can't even come up with the definitive defintion of what constitutes a planet !

My opinion is that a big space rock shouldn't even be called a planet unless it can harbor a bona fide will creature civilization.

The UB talks about the various elemental types of beings which differ remarkably from our type. There are the nonbreathers who don't require an atmosphere. There are differing temperature types that can exist in temperatures both much higher and lower than us.

But these Kuiper Belt objects are.....way out there. Very far from Sol. Subfrozen wastelands with even little to no useable light. An existance far removed from what we know and can comprehend.

But all of this is only my opinion and no one in the scientific community is looking to me for any answers.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

rhermen wrote:
As I disagree with you that some astronomers are fudging. It will be the International Astronomical Union which decides this issue. Not you or me.

Dear Rhermen,
Thanks for the welcome....even though I've been a member since 2003.

It should have been me welcoming you...lol... Anyway, I used the astronomers 'fudging' line as was quoted from a scientific astronomy program called "Star-stuff"...

As regards Pluto...seems like Journalists love jumping before the gun has gone off.

This is what the IAU had to say on the matter of relegating Pluto as was being reported by some jornos...

No proposal to change the status of Pluto as the ninth planet in the solar system has been made by any Division, Commission or Working Group of the IAU responsible for solar system science. Accordingly, no such initiative has been considered by the Officers or Executive Committee, who set the policy of the IAU itself.

Also, just a fine point, the IAU makes decisions and recommendations for change that are non-enforcable..

Quoting from their own directives...
"From time to time, the IAU takes decisions and makes recommendations on issues concerning astronomical matters affecting other sciences or the public. Such decisions and recommendations are not enforceable by national or international law, but are accepted because they are rational and effective when applied in practice. It is therefore the policy of the IAU that its recommendations should rest on well-established scientific facts and be backed by a broad consensus in the community concerned
Aquafire

PostPosted:  

Howdy Aquafire,

Yep these are interesting times not doubt. Do ya think it may be inhabitited perhaps by non-breathers :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

The essay: "The worlds of Monmatia" from Craig Carmichael on TruthBooks home page is certainly a different perspective. Any more planets found and he may have to write an update. Xena, Sedna, Quaoar etc.

"Also, just a fine point, the IAU makes decisions and recommendations for change that are non-enforcable.."

The same may be said of TUB. Of course traditional science is slow to change the status quo. Should the Astronomy community bow to the uninspired cosmology and attempt to prove the unearned science of the Urantia Book? Maybe the IUA should just accept these definitions from paper 15:

Minor Space Bodies. The meteors and other small particles of matter circulating and evolving in space constitute an enormous aggregate of energy and material substance.

The Planets. These are the larger aggregations of matter which follow an orbit around a sun or some other space body; they range in size from planetesimals to enormous gaseous, liquid, or solid spheres. The cold worlds which have been built up by the assemblage of floating space material, when they happen to be in proper relation to a near-by sun, are the more ideal planets to harbor intelligent inhabitants.

Given TUB's own definition, KBO's cetainly qualify as planetesimals, perhaps some of the larger asteroids do as well. And at the rate KBO's are being discovered, Monmatia may very well have far more than twelve planets before all is said and done. How do we define cold? Earth is certainly not as cold as Pluto et al.

In your solar system only three planets are at present suited to harbor life. Urantia, in size, density, and location, is in many respects ideal for human habitation.

For the Universal Censor who authored paper 15 and hails from Uversa, just how do we interpret his meaning of "at present"? If there's any truth to the Face on Mars and Cydonia, "at present" may be several million years in the past or future.

Perhaps the "revelators" are actually mortal beings who hail from the twelfth planet leftover from Agona...and Urantia is merely their name for our world. LOL

PostPosted:  

WLM wrote:
Howdy Aquafire,
Yep these are interesting times not doubt. Do ya think it may be inhabitited perhaps by non-breathers :?:

Well, its an interesting idea...

But I must admit to some doubt...most particularly, because I think the term "Non Breather' is pretty wishywashy.

Without wanting to get into exobiology, I have often wondered what would pass as a non breather form of life...

Technically.... ( Please correct me if I am wrong) but I thought that Viruses, DNA and RNA, are "Non breathers".

Some would argue that robots and computers are also a form of life....and if so, might fall into the catergory of "Non-breather"

So where do we go from there...

In any case, I keep thinking of those "Harmoniums" in Kurt Vonnegut's "Sirens of Titan", whose only food source is vibrations...charming and harmless.
Aqua

Post subject:
PostPosted:  
Howdy, ya'll.

Aqua, I think when UB refers to "non-breathers", they are referring to creatures with the potential for personality survival. I don't think robots and viruses are what they are talking about.

Peace,
Arc

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Today's News: " Leading astronomers are proposing to rewrite the textbooks
to say that our solar system has 12 planets rather than the nine memorized
by generations school children"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pg 656C
PAPER 57 - THE ORIGIN OF URANTIA,
This great column of solar gases which was thus
separated from the sun subsequently evolved into the twelve planets of the solar system. The repercussional ejection of gas from the opposite side of the sun in tidal sympathy with the extrusion of this gigantic solar system ancestor, has since condensed into the meteors and space dust of the solar system, although much, very much, of this matter was subsequently recaptured by solar gravity as the Angona system receded into remote space.
We told you so, we told you so....... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

WOW ! 8) KOOL STUFF INDEED ! :mrgreen:

Thanks to all for the links ! A lotta GOOD readin ta DO . :wink: It seems that in a sense that the Universal Father is slowly lifting Thee Veil , And revealing his Artistic Creations to us , in a Co op of us & Him . Of course we can take credit in our searching , .. We are Co Creators Pilgrims in search of TRUTH .
'' :wink: We told you so, we told you so....... :wink:
AMEN

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Too bad TUB doesn't actually name, describe or give the location of all twelve original planets of Monmatia, does it? Neither does it name the three planets which could support life at this time. Nor does it actually name and give the location of the planet of the non-breathers.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Public Laughs and Shrugs at 12-Planet Proposal

By Ker Than Staff Writer
posted: 18 August 2006 06:44 am ET

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/0 ... _rxns.html

A controversial new proposal by the International Astronomical Union would reclassify an asteroid and a moon as planets, plus add one far-out object. Here's the whole mix. Continue to see each of the 12 "planets."

The New Solar System

http://www.space.com/php/multimedia/ima ... 62&gid=298

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Earth's Moon Could Become a Planet

By Robert Roy Britt Senior Science Writer
posted: 17 August 2006 06:32 pm ET

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/0 ... lanet.html
Astronomers Sharply Divided on New Planet Definition

By Robert Roy Britt Senior Science Writer
posted: 17 August 2006 10:41 am ET

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/0 ... pport.html

Last edited by rhermen on Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:55 am +0000, edited 8 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Mercury: The new planet definition relies on gravity as a determining factor. With a certain amount of mass, gravity makes planets like Mercury round. To be a planet, an object also has to orbit a star and not orbit another planet. Mercury is a terrestrial, or rocky planet. Mercury is 3,031 miles wide, the smallest of the inner rocky planets.

(???- Charon orbits Pluto)

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Venus: This terrestrial planet is 7,521 miles wide and known for having a scorching surface brought on by a runaway greenhouse effect. Thick clouds obscure the entire surface of Venus.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Earth: Earth is 7,926 miles in diameter, the largest of the known terrestrial planets. Some astronomers speculate that at least one object as big as Earth might yet be found in the outer solar system.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Mars: Mars is the only planet in our solar system besides Earth that has much chance of harboring life. It is 4,217 miles wide.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next