Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 8:30 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

I will pray for you to renew your faith-commitment that your individuated "Adjuster" has held in trust with you.

I have contended with the wikipedia synopsis of the UB. The same technical objections only led me back to appreciate other Christian texts, like Mary Baker Eddy's "HEALTH AND SCIENCE", more. Christian Science has even more technical flaws than the Urantia Book but the philosophy of Eddy remains true in a psychological sense, at least for I this is true.

It is then the psychological reality, which remains true in the Urantia Book. The Urantia Book requires that science continually advance and that religion be seen only or primarily as the relationship that God has with you. Do you think that God left you when you left God?

I hope that your hiatus was meaningful to your own maturation, and I believe that your joining of this forum signifies a renewal of your faith-recognition. And I have enormous gratitude for your own company.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

New to TUB myself.

I accept Christianity (but not all the dogmas of the Churches) because I find it to be the most compelling account of explaining the reality I'm confronted with in life. Up until I read TUB, no other documents than the Bible had occupied that place for me. I think TUB is quickly becoming my next trusted document after the Bible. Perhaps it will even become more so over time.

It is the only serious attempt I've seen in the past 100 years to reconcile Christianity with the facts of modern existence in a way that neither minimizes Christianity nor philosophy, nor science, but rather expands rapidly upon all three and integrates them in new and meaningful ways that no other philosophy/philosopher has come close to in the 20th or 21st century.

As to the Wikipedia article, I don't think it's relevant to the spiritual truth communicated to you unless it offers a more meaningful alternative. In my opinion the Wikipedia article provides a very balanced view on TUB compared with how it treats almost every other religious text or controversial document. Many things about TUB's origin and genesis are unclear. It should also be noted that Wikipedia has very high quality standards, but I don't see the content in the article as anything very threatening to the integrity of TUB. Those editors of the Wikipedia article who support TUB have done an excellent job making sure that it's well-represented and not a smear job. Whatever contradictions exist in TUB I'm certain that they are manifestly less than, or at the very most barely equal to, the contradictions that exist in the writings of a naturalistic philosopher like Bertrand Russell, or a determinist like Hobbes.

PostPosted:  

Aloha Redthread... and so glad to hear from a new reader... I too had trouble accepting the teaching of the church... I was raised Catholic and not even encouraged to read the Bible ... or think for myself. I remember having trouble with the Atonement doctrine and others so I left the church and started my own journey both East and West... in search of my "Guru" back in the day (70's) :) I then saw this big blue book sitting on a coffee table and stopped me right there... My search was over and to today I daily read and have never lost interest.... Aloha to you and live and learn.

PostPosted:  

There is a wide spectrum of spirituality from Fundamentalist to Atheist. And it's normal for any questioning person to move along that spectrum.

To me it is undeniable that there is a Creator. It's almost a knowing.

But all the other details, everything I don't have experience of directly, is subject to questioning. EVERYTHING.

The Christian Bible is certainly a flawed document. Any understanding of how the texts were selected, translated, and edited, can only lead one to the conclusion that you can't take the Bible literally. Additional knowledge of Church history will teach you that much of the doctrine was actually made up after the crucifixion by humans. (I never understood the Atonement either. And I have problems with the doctrine of Original Sin too!)

Is the Urantia Book a better framework? Probably. Is it the only framework to believe in? Certainly not.

Spirituality is an individual thing. Feel free to pick and choose ideas that make sense to you.

To me it all boils down to this: We are all One. Anything that teach love and unity and the brotherhood of man are good. Anything that teaches fear and separation is bad.

PostPosted:  

BigAl wrote:
Is [the Urantia Book] the only framework to believe in?

The Urantia Book is the most unique book in the world. When you take the time to research its origin and how it appeared on the planet, you will realize just how unique it really is and that the text of the Urantia Book most definitely was not authored by a human being. That part, speaks for itself. Reading and re-reading it -- in its entirety -- validates this beyond all doubt.

The real history of the appearance of the Papers indicates no human being had anything to do with the words of the text. The authorship of the text is above human. Whoever wrote the text clearly had something to do with man's design, his creation.

The history is also clear that no human was involved with the physical appearance of the Papers. Those who were there have stated emphatically that no one knows how they appeared, and no one ever will.

So is it the only framework to believe in?

No.

But if you're sincerely seeking God, why wouldn't you realize the Urantia Book's framework?

BigAl wrote:
Anything that teaches love and unity and the brotherhood of man is good.

(196:2.2) "None is good but God"

PostPosted:  

nodAmanaV wrote:
If you're human, it's impossible to live without faith. If you desire, you will have faith in God and grow to see what is true eventually. If you're an atheist, you will have faith in yourself that the truth is a lie. Either way, you will be faithful.

This statement was so powerful for me I had to acknowledge it. Ok bye.

PostPosted:  

After looking at these posts, I thought you might enjoy reading Phillip Calabrese, a mathmatician who writes about science in the Urantia Book. A Statistical Test Of the Hypothesis that The Urantia Book was Authored by Human Beings is a lecture on YouTube about a paper that he wrote by the same name. His work can be found at Urantia Fellowship and other internet sites.

PostPosted:  

Hi All,

Regarding the effect of "tidal friction" slowing down the rotation of Mercury,
Quote:
"[...], as is illustrated by the planet Mercury and by the moon, which always turns the same face toward Urantia." (57:6.2)

notice that Mercury does in fact illustrate the effect of "tidal friction", while the moon actually demonstrates it – since the moon "always turns the same face toward Urantia."

So I read 57:6.2 like this: "As illustrated by Mercury, and (as demonstrated) by the moon, [...]". This simple shift removes any issue, and avoids unnecessary correction.

Regarding that distance to Andromeda (M31, NGC 224), ever since 1952, any professional astronomer who reads 15:4.7 would recognise "almost one million years" as simply a quote from Hubble's 1924 paper, and move on. (That paper was not actually published until 1929, see PNAS v15:3. Table 1 lists the distance to Andromeda / NGC 224 as 0.275 Mpc, i.e. "almost one million light years".)

Worth recalling what the revelators actually said in 15:4.7:
Quote:
"[. . .], pause to consider that the light you behold left those distant suns almost one million years ago." (15:4.7)

Rather than get hung up on one vs. two million light years, let's pause to consider what that Forum in the early 1930's were being asked to "pause to consider", i.e. humanity's then-recently discovered fact, that the famous smudge in Andromeda was in fact an entire island universe, every bit as grand as our own Milky Way. At the time these papers were being written, this single fact was still causing astronomers to redefine their idea of the universe. Hence, "pause to consider".

Surprising that no one in this thread has yet mentioned what the revelators themselves said about all this:
Quote:
"[...], within a few short years many of our statements regarding the physical sciences will stand in need of revision [...]" (101:4.2)

As some of you know, I've been collecting a first attempt at this revision in these videos (or see their pdf scripts here: 4A, 4B1,2, 4C, 4D-1, 4D-2)

Turns out the UB authors have pointed to solutions that someone like Frank Wilczek might put to good use.

Nigel

PostPosted:  

nnunn wrote:
Hi All,

Regarding the effect of "tidal friction" slowing down the rotation of Mercury,
Quote:
"[...], as is illustrated by the planet Mercury and by the moon, which always turns the same face toward Urantia." (57:6.2)

notice that Mercury does in fact illustrate the effect of "tidal friction", while the moon actually demonstrates it – since the moon "always turns the same face toward Urantia."

So I read 57:6.2 like this: "As illustrated by Mercury, and (as demonstrated) by the moon, [...]". This simple shift removes any issue, and avoids unnecessary correction.

Regarding that distance to Andromeda (M31, NGC 224), ever since 1952, any professional astronomer who reads 15:4.7 would recognise "almost one million years" as simply a quote from Hubble's 1924 paper, and move on. (That paper was not actually published until 1929, see PNAS v15:3. Table 1 lists the distance to Andromeda / NGC 224 as 0.275 Mpc, i.e. "almost one million light years".)

Worth recalling what the revelators actually said in 15:4.7:
Quote:
"[. . .], pause to consider that the light you behold left those distant suns almost one million years ago." (15:4.7)

Rather than get hung up on one vs. two million light years, let's pause to consider what that Forum in the early 1930's were being asked to "pause to consider", i.e. humanity's then-recently discovered fact, that the famous smudge in Andromeda was in fact an entire island universe, every bit as grand as our own Milky Way. At the time these papers were being written, this single fact was still causing astronomers to redefine their idea of the universe. Hence, "pause to consider".

Surprising that no one in this thread has yet mentioned what the revelators themselves said about all this:
Quote:
"[...], within a few short years many of our statements regarding the physical sciences will stand in need of revision [...]" (101:4.2)

As some of you know, I've been collecting a first attempt at this revision in these videos (or see their pdf scripts here: 4A, 4B1,2, 4C, 4D-1, 4D-2)

Turns out the UB authors have pointed to solutions that someone like Frank Wilczek might put to good use.

Nigel

For sure! The Templeton Prize video is very encouraging, an example of religion and science nearly walking hand in hand and getting recognized by the science community, a positive view of how things could "suddenly" (I like how the word "suddenly" is used in the Papers) change in science and education when spiritual realities are confirmed by one of their own, so to speak. Nigel, have been a source of inspiration and encouragement to me personally and I have learned a lot from them and share them whenever I can, you have done a great job and I am sure your presentations have started a lot of wheels and gears turning in scientific minds all around the globe. Thanks again!

PostPosted:  

The Urantia Book is definitely not for the simple minded person. It is so complex and there are so many ideas and concepts flying at you a mile a minute when you read it that you literally have to slow down and read it over again, and again, and again and to be honest its going to be difficult for a below average person of intelligence to even stay awake through reading a short way into even just one of the papers. I've always said "Urantia, yeah some people just can't handle it yet". And the funny thing is, according to Urantia it's generally best when you don't try to force it too soon onto people, and just let the people on the planet evolve enough on their own in order to finally be able to get it, and accept it so that it is a natural occurring thing.

Urantia also says that even though our Planet is in quarantine due to the Lucifer Rebellion and we no longer have the ability to communicate on the heavenly electrical circuits until all members of the Lucifer Rebellion are adjudicated, that it is a true blessing and not a curse that we are to live in 100% faith without a planetary prince because we are still gaining ground and so it's a wonderful thing that people have found a way without proof to believe. I believe in the ultimate love and mercy that the Urantia book talks about each of us needing to have for others. It would be my greatest wish that before I leave this planet, I leave it a little better than it was before I was here because I love seeing others happy when they receive their revelation and the clouds part and they learn and transform right in front of you to have faith in God. Its a beautiful experience to be the one that helps someone do this, so I will say the following in hopes to bring someone to that point:

Skeptics can come and they can go regarding the Urantia Book. After reading it, all of it, and that took me over 20 years, because i read some of it multiple times but after thoroughly reading it, it changes your life, opens your eyes to something greater. And that feels a whole lot like the truth. It's almost hard to fathom it being any other way now. It is truly the only thing that has given me 100% satisfaction for anything close to truth in all parts of life's applications. It truly gives you insight to life and the beauty thereof, you learn to fear nothing because you are already loved, and well provided for into eternity. You experience it and it proves to be correct in everything you apply to your life. Everything right and moral and truthful and good. The Bible is not perfect yet it is perfect in the sense that it's been successfully bringing people to God, showing people to seek God, teaching people to love God, and it shows that doing God's will is your eternal goal, It's been doing this for a long time now because its all in there. I suspect that anytime humans are involved with a work that there is a possibility of error. But Urantia and the Bible neither have to be perfect in my book due to the human factor to know the large concepts of truth that both teach like love and mercy that it is working and doing its job perfectly even if it isnt quickly at this point - comparatively speaking. So here's the bottom line on skeptics, if you haven't read or experienced either of them, then your opinion doesn't really even count at all except on a very superficial level. I don't say that to be mean, it's just your void of the experiential value that comes only from doing.

So why not try it before you shut your mind to it? I wrestled intensely with whether I accepted The Urantia Book as truth due to all the jumping around from guilt to learning and i wasn't consistently reading it and I read too many negative comments until I finally broke down and read it all. That was difficult yet so rewarding. While I do not believe you must read it all to really be changed by it, I think it would at least help if you will read about the entire life of Jesus from his past bestowals to the last paper 96.

This is the most important part because it describes how you will live your life for eternity if you are to choose life and seek God's perfection with your gift of free will or choose not to participate in life - which is also your free will choice. You will still have freewill to sin much like Lucifer even after this life because if we are to have true free will there will exist that possibility especially when one thinks of themselves and puts themselves before others. Plus knowing that something is sin but continuing to do it anyway can eventually lead to the corruption of your own personality so that you may no longer be capable of feeling remorse nor would you no longer care if you were forgiven for this sin.

I hope that for those who are of a higher intelligence please understand the validation of Urantia doesn't come from a forum but it comes from what it does to change you after you have experienced it and then you can factor much like Christ did when he was accused of being in line with Satan for healing on the sabbath. A house divided against itself cannot stand. When you see the good it brings you, then you stop worrying about skeptics and all you know is that you just want to do God's will. How can that be wrong? And if that is not wrong perhaps we should redefine what our reasons are for hanging onto past beliefs as being the whole truth, or is it that you not yet have the ability to see the traditions for what they are, that we have heard since maybe even birth and that is why we are biased and closed minded to anything else. If everyone truly had the ability to look deep enough and ask truly ourselves why we are clinging to these older traditions that we have been taught, and question whether this is a wise thing to do or is this just a disregard to being open minded to a higher truth. I believe that is a detriment to our own future and slowing down our evolutionary processes. You're not going to be in the majority right now if you are a Urantia believer. Although I will say that some people without knowledge of Urantia want to live like this because they just love God. But hey, they laughed at Alexander Graham Bell too. Pity the ones that rebuke you because you have these abilities and understand they are just not evolved enough to understand yet, but that does not make the skeptics bad, just unlearned.

There will always be the possibility of sin the rest of your eternity but you will gain spiritual wisdom as you evolve forward in your training. Before I experienced Urantia, I use to feel guilty for even questioning the faith I was brought up with. But we come to learn that if we keep seeking truth, we find that is really just our human propensities to hold onto tradition. However, if we are truly intelligent we learn not to be so narrow minded. Urantia talks about this too and how traditions can be good at unifying families and strengthen family bonds but it can also stagnate intelligent and spiritual growth when one doesn't evolve to a higher level of truth due to turning a blind eye. Urantia is for intelligent people right now, so don't beat yourself up if you're not ready for it. You are what you are and that is a beloved family member who hasn't learned the truth yet and your knowledgeable brothers and sisters will patiently wait for you. You're taken care of anyway whether you choose to believe it or not because even if you don't start your spiritual training here on this planet you certainly will on the mansion worlds of ascending Morontial beings (the in-between stage of your human nature and your spiritual true self), where you will eventually gain true spirit sight anyway after a long quest of higher learning if you are to continue into eternity. I hope this helped someone who may have been searching for a truthful testimony.