Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:25 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

When I came home from Vietnam in January of 1970, after two years of horror, and drugs, I ran away to California from Seattle, and got a job washing dishes at a Denny's in Long Beach. I have a cousin of basically the same age, and we were very close since the age of 10. So I stayed with he and his dad for a while, and a mutual friend would come over periodically, and talk about God, but due to the drugs, his message was blurred. I just did not see the point.

One night, I was at The Pike, basically a waterfront attraction aimed at Sailors, and just watching people. First, I met a man named Jack, who shared a very strong message about Jesus. There was something about him that attracted me, but I wasn't ready. Later that evening, I would most certainly be ready. I went back to watching people, and a guy named Chuck asked if I wanted to smoke a joint with him (please don't be offended) and we went across the street to the seediest motel ever. So in the middle of all this, he fixed me with a beady-eyed stare, and commanded me to go get all the money I could find, and give it to him. I knew something was wrong, agreed with him and left. I looked in my shirt pocket, and found the card that Jack gave me. I looked up, and I was standing across the street from the address on it, so I went and knocked on the door. Jack answered and told me that he was still awake because he KNEW I would be there. This place was called Hope Center (nice touch) and Jack asked me to pray with him, and something remarkably wonderful happened. I achieved Spiritual and Mind contact with God as I still don't understand him. A few weeks down the road, I saw that guy Chuck on TV. He was Charles Manson. I met Manson and Jesus the same evening. Wow!

This all made for a powerful story, and Jack and many of my new friends were convinced that I should go to Bible College and become a preacher. I did this for a while, but it did not feel like what I was supposed to do. So I left after a year, and ended up in Sonoma, Ca, where once again I was united with my cousin. Eventually, I met his ex wife, who was the caretaker at the Religion of Jesus Church, and she said that she had been expecting me. She showed me Page 1 of the Urantia Book, the first page of The Universal Father. I read the first page, and I knew it was real. There was no mistaking what was going on in my mind and my heart. But doubter that I sometimes am, I had one prayer..."what if this is a Satanic Trap?" I was immediately comforted by a BIBLICAL passage that mentioned how much better Our Father is at giving us what we need. So I dove in. The opportunity arose for me to go to The Religion of Jesus Farm on Molokai, where we studied a paper (in sequence) every day, in depth. What an amazing experience, cut short by my mother having a stroke and needing my help.

I am still reading the UB in 2022, and I still believe it to be exactly what it claims to be. I have led very few people to the Urantia Book, but my wife of 38 years reads and it is her guide to spirit reality". My ministry ended up being musical, and something happens to people when I play guitar and sing that I cannot take credit for. It is a nice and good thing, and I no longer have to accept money for doing this. I am also an active member of a 12 Step Fellowship, which tells me to live in the same manner that the UB does, but in much less flowery language.
There are a couple more "episodes" where Divine Intervention has unmistakably taken place, but will only share them if requested to.

I love all of you. :)

Joe Feller
Evolutionary Mortal

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

Dear Joe,
Wow - thanks for the perfectly beautiful thanksgiving O:)
with thanks!
Nigel

PostPosted:  

Thanks, Joe, for your story.

It's like you were faced with good and evil all in one night. So glad you chose the Hope Center and that you eventually ended up with The Urantia Book.

The connection of the UBook with the 12step program is one I have heard many times. It's a powerful and practical way to live the teachings. Keep going! and thanks again for sharing your story.

Best Wishes...MaryJo

PostPosted:  

maryjo606 wrote:
Thanks, Joe, for your story.

It's like you were faced with good and evil all in one night. So glad you chose the Hope Center and that you eventually ended up with The Urantia Book.

The connection of the UBook with the 12step program is one I have heard many times. It's a powerful and practical way to live the teachings. Keep going! and thanks again for sharing your story.

Best Wishes...MaryJo

I suspect that since the Revelatory commission had lots of members present on Urantia at the time, that permission was likely granted to teach people how to help each other to obtain freedom from active addiction. It started with two men and some Divine Inspiration I believe, and I suspect that with the number of souls rescued from that horrors of addiction, that there has been a great deal of "Celestial Help". At any rate, it all fits together very neatly. :)