Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:48 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

Quite a lot of great insights brother...

What is your perspective on practices that alter our perception like intense breathwork, yoga etc.? Is there any value in reaching these enigmatic but quite ecstatic states of consciousness? Entering Samadhi, having a Satori glimpse... What really are those in relation to true spiritual forces and TA? I think experiencing and integrating them could be also connected with true worship. I am assuming balancing them out with social service and wholehearted connection to reality afterwards. O:)

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

Rhinodonter wrote:
Quite a lot of great insights brother...

What is your perspective on practices that alter our perception like intense breathwork, yoga etc.? Is there any value in reaching these enigmatic but quite ecstatic states of consciousness? Entering Samadhi, having a Satori glimpse... What really are those in relation to true spiritual forces and TA? I think experiencing and integrating them could be also connected with true worship. I am assuming balancing them out with social service and wholehearted connection to reality afterwards. O:)

I think any practice which calms and focuses mind helps approach our superconsciousness. Calm contemplation helps clear the mind for prayer, worship, and reception of insight and revelation. It also supports self revelation or the mind's ability to resolve conundrum and paradox and apply reason to life's perplexities.

Such states of mind and being are not really enigmatic or ecstatic I do not think. Certainly drugs and extreme fasting or exhaustion are inferior and ineffective at delivering true transformation and transcendence, but may offer some glimpse into the need for personal change and evolutionary progress.

Satori and samadhi are true paradigm shifts of reality perspective which encourages growth and understanding and empathy...and humility. I think most people have experienced satori, a moment of brilliant clarity and reality alignment perspective. The state of nirvana is difficult to maintain for long as the human conditions of desire and suffering so easily interrupt such a state of being. But true worship does deliver such peace and release.

But these are not mystical states really and quite human if ego can be tamed or contained sufficiently.

Whatever leads to sincere prayer and opens the mind to our Deity Connections is good and productive I think.

8)

PostPosted:  

100:5.6 (1099.4) If one is disposed to recognize a theoretical subconscious mind as a practical working hypothesis in the otherwise unified intellectual life, then, to be consistent, one should postulate a similar and corresponding realm of ascending intellectual activity as the superconscious level, the zone of immediate contact with the indwelling spirit entity, the Thought Adjuster. The great danger in all these psychic speculations is that visions and other so-called mystic experiences, along with extraordinary dreams, may be regarded as divine communications to the human mind. In times past, divine beings have revealed themselves to certain God-knowing persons, not because of their mystic trances or morbid visions, but in spite of all these phenomena.

100:5.7 (1099.5) In contrast with conversion-seeking, the better approach to the morontia zones of possible contact with the Thought Adjuster would be through living faith and sincere worship, wholehearted and unselfish prayer. Altogether too much of the uprush of the memories of the unconscious levels of the human mind has been mistaken for divine revelations and spirit leadings.

100:5.8 (1099.6) There is great danger associated with the habitual practice of religious daydreaming; mysticism may become a technique of reality avoidance, albeit it has sometimes been a means of genuine spiritual communion. Short seasons of retreat from the busy scenes of life may not be seriously dangerous, but prolonged isolation of personality is most undesirable. Under no circumstances should the trancelike state of visionary consciousness be cultivated as a religious experience.

100:5.9 (1099.7) The characteristics of the mystical state are diffusion of consciousness with vivid islands of focal attention operating on a comparatively passive intellect. All of this gravitates consciousness toward the subconscious rather than in the direction of the zone of spiritual contact, the superconscious. Many mystics have carried their mental dissociation to the level of abnormal mental manifestations.

100:5.10 (1100.1) The more healthful attitude of spiritual meditation is to be found in reflective worship and in the prayer of thanksgiving. The direct communion with one’s Thought Adjuster, such as occurred in the later years of Jesus’ life in the flesh, should not be confused with these so-called mystical experiences. The factors which contribute to the initiation of mystic communion are indicative of the danger of such psychic states. The mystic status is favored by such things as: physical fatigue, fasting, psychic dissociation, profound aesthetic experiences, vivid sex impulses, fear, anxiety, rage, and wild dancing. Much of the material arising as a result of such preliminary preparation has its origin in the subconscious mind.

100:5.11 (1100.2) However favorable may have been the conditions for mystic phenomena, it should be clearly understood that Jesus of Nazareth never resorted to such methods for communion with the Paradise Father. Jesus had no subconscious delusions or superconscious illusions.

https://www.urantia.org/urantia-book/se ... &op=Search

https://www.urantia.org/urantia-book/se ... op=SearchP

PostPosted:  

fanofVan wrote:

Such states of mind and being are not really enigmatic or ecstatic I do not think. Certainly drugs and extreme fasting or exhaustion are inferior and ineffective at delivering true transformation and transcendence, but may offer some glimpse into the need for personal change and evolutionary progress.

In referring to enigmatic and ecstatic I don't necessary mean short calming meditations but rather intense breathwork for example SOMA breath that produces similar effects to psychodelic plants partially due to changing brain waves to gamma and by forcing the body to produce certain hormones like anandamide or maybe even DMT. These states can be truly otherworldly blissful when one feel subjective boundlessness and profound unity with the universe. I wonder if these bring anything of value and are they worth pursuing. Many people had life changing experiences as a result but if one already is a man of faith maybe it adds nothing. Seems kinda forced. It's interesting that our body has this capability and this potential is even reflected on a chemical level. Maybe we should investigate this in the same category as psychodelics. They seem to produce healing benefits for many but they are increasingly being used as a tool for spiritual growth and the value of it is questionable.

PostPosted:  

I am not familiar but it looks very interesting and another breathing meditation discipline with some associated emotional healing related to personal suffering relief.

https://www.soma-zen.com/

Care of the body's physical health is certainly important for mind function. So fasting and sleep deprivation may deliver altered states of consciousness, but not truly healthy or helpful I don't think.

Took lots of psychedelics in the 70's. Some to profound and lasting effect. More that was ill advised escapism and meaningless amusement. Neither of those is recommended.

8)