Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:39 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

maryjo606 wrote:
fanofVan wrote:
I look forward to the human source of this "Amazing Event" notice.

There is no human source of this amazing event. It is an eclipse of the sun.

maryjo606, I agree 100%.

maryjo606 wrote:
I think the buzz about this amazing event is simply as a result of the dates and their significance to UBers. It's nothing more or less. Fun to think about, reflect on, etc...

I remember when the 2017 eclipse hppened on Jesus' birthday, we made a special trip to a nice place where we could watch it and hve a time of worship. It was beautiful and meaningful.

And I think that's all JonG was saying...

That's exactly what I was saying.

maryjo606 wrote:
I don't think JonG's post was about Halbert, and I don't think we should make this about him here. The topic is the eclipse.

Again, I agree 100%.

Although, I understand it's difficult to have a conversation about the eclipses without bringing up Halbert (as I did from the very beginning by referencing him), but my feelings about the eclipses are mine and mine alone--I don't need to form my opinion on the eclipses based on what Halbert says about them.

For me, the eclipses are cool and exciting, and make me think about the cosmic awesomeness of Michael and his bestowal on this planet. It reminds me of the fact that this world is known as the World of the Cross, and that I am blessed to be able to live here after his bestowal. I love the fact that I'm alive at a time when two eclipses pass by that just happen to have the same dates as Jesus' birth and time in the tomb.

I don't need to attach any kind of prophetic significance to them in order to get something out of them--as if they're only important if something HAPPENS. I don't need anything to happen IN ADDITION TO the eclipses themselves in order to feel something. The eclipses themselves ARE the event for me. :smile:

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

maryjo606 wrote:
OK - I think I have done all I can do. These links will take you to my scanned images. I think that from there, you can enlarge the images for easier reading, as the print is kinda small.

BTW, this is an article from The Fellowship Herald (Summer 2022), published by the Urantia Fellowship. https://urantiabook.org/ I suspect that it will eventually be avaialble online, but it is pretty new.

To me, this is a very interesting co-incidence...these eclipses and their dates that are so well-known to us Urantia Book students. I don't personally put a lot of store in signs and wonders, but I do think the timing is ... well, notable, if nothing else. Quite interesting and thought-provoking.

And as this article says, it might be an opportunity to talk about the revelation with people as the time and interest in it draw near.

I was able to see the last one, but I am hundreds of miles from this next one, unfortunately.

Here are the scans:

Pg1: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AimE4A55gHkpgYs2IlEnOD-2DY4FTQ?e=aB55LR

Pg2: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AimE4A55gHkpgYs3QNheYVa7Meyn_g?e=eB8e9y

Pg3: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AimE4A55gHkpgYs4ItCWyaJ4TA62wQ?e=ZG05MZ

Cheers!

PS: Once yu go to the first page, you can hit the arrow in the top right to go to the next page.

maryjo606, thank you so much for posting those links. I just now finished reading them and found them to be very inspiring! I've definitely saved them for my Urantia files on my computer.

My feeling about the eclipses is not that they point to some POSSIBLE event happening NOW, but to REAL events that have ALREADY happened--events that not only changed the world but got the attention of all Creation!

PostPosted:  

Fanofvan says:
Quote:
Thought provoking??

Yes, I think so...

Geez...lighten up already bro. If you don't like the topic, you don't have to participate. It's doing no harm to anyone.

PostPosted:  

JonG says:
Quote:
For me, the eclipses are cool and exciting, and make me think about the cosmic awesomeness of Michael and his bestowal on this planet. It reminds me of the fact that this world is known as the World of the Cross, and that I am blessed to be able to live here after his bestowal. I love the fact that I'm alive at a time when two eclipses pass by that just happen to have the same dates as Jesus' birth and time in the tomb.

I don't need to attach any kind of prophetic significance to them in order to get something out of them--as if they're only important if something HAPPENS. I don't need anything to happen IN ADDITION TO the eclipses themselves in order to feel something. The eclipses themselves ARE the event for me.

Me, too. It's also so interesting that the paths form a cross so close to Chicago. File under: "universe romancing."

PostPosted:  

maryjo606 wrote:
Me, too. It's also so interesting that the paths form a cross so close to Chicago. File under: "universe romancing."

Ah, I didn't even think of that--more awesomeness! :o

PostPosted:  

maryjo606 wrote:
Quote:
I look forward to the human source of this "Amazing Event" notice.

There is no human source of this amazing event. It is an eclipse of the sun.

Amazing: "causing great surprise or wonder; astonishing"

Hmmm....

Actually there is absolutely nothing "amazing" about this commonplace and very predictable astronomical event which occurs on Urantia with great frequency and regularity on random days and all locations over time. To claim or assign significance to these particular eclipses only serves those who claim to predict specific events and outcomes by their beliefs in human divination.

Such claims are actually banned here...or so I thought.

And there is indeed "great harm" and error/evil to promote such superstitious primitivism here...in my opinion.

:D

PostPosted:  

There's no "promotion" of anything. It is simply an interesting coincidence and there is nothing wrong with finding it interesting and even kinda wonderful.

No one else seems excercised about it but you. There is no harm being done. You are entitled to your opinion, but for heavens sake, fanofvan...

Lighten up, bruh! All is well.

PostPosted:  

maryjo606 wrote:
There's no "promotion" of anything. It is simply an interesting coincidence and there is nothing wrong with finding it interesting and even kinda wonderful.

No one else seems excercised about it but you. There is no harm being done. You are entitled to your opinion, but for heavens sake, fanofvan...

:lol:

PostPosted:  

maryjo606 wrote:

"Coincidence" indeed!

Our world has a total eclipse every 18 months or so - 2 every 3 years. Or about 700 million of them so far. The timing and locations of those 700 million eclipses was determined by astronomical physics and orbital cycles about one billion years ago.

So, certainly are any dates or locations of recent eclipses a circumstantial irrelevancy that fascinates only the primitve superstitions of those seeking signs and wonders.

Please enjoy your wonderment and fascination of such an "interesting" coincidence!

It is unfortunate however that the coincidental timing of 2 (out of 700 million) such eclipses on Urantia was originally presented here within the context of the claims of those promoting signs and wonders, assigning predictions of second comings (and more) associated with these quite ordinary and predictable astronomical events and dates and locations, determined so long before any human (or celestial) activity of any kind anywhere on any random day or any historical era on Urantia.

The UB itself teaches us the ridiculous folly of such primitive superstitions that we are certainly to eventually evolve beyond, but here is such nonsense given voice and support anyway.

And it is your suggestion that we utilize such primitivism to introduce the Revelation, which repudiated such beliefs, to others.

Holy Moly.

Fascinating.

Truly so.

We tadpoles are a funny bunch of monkeys!!

Consider me lightened up...quite amused really...

8)

PostPosted:  

(With tongue firmly placed in cheek...)

I am wondering if these "wonderful" and "interesting" events are more about measuring our rationality and evolutionary status? I mean...not intentionally of course...but merely coincidentally after all??

Are the gods giving us signs? Or are such so called signs actually a test of our primitivismand evolutionary progress??

As the winter solstice approaches, we might consider the human and animal sacrifices made by our ancestors (not so long ago) to the gods to bring back the sun and spring again.

Eclipses offer us such a historical record of barbarity and superstition...and expectation of Divine interventions and intercession as unfortunately and falsely predicted by Mr. Katzen and Mr. George.

The natural order and occurrence of sunrise, sunset, comets, flood, drought, season, orbits, eclipses, etc., etc., etc., ad infinitum have always (and evidently still) fascinate us and trigger such primitive assignments of cause to the supernatural as signs and symbols of the favors or displeasure of the spirit world.

While such evolutionary primitivism does eventually lead to human progress and enlightenment by science and experience, it is certainly an obstacle and regressive trait to assign any such primitive superstitions to such natural events or causes or effects.

It appears we here fail the test...of so called and fictional coincidence.

A coincidence is: "a remarkable concurrence of events or circumstances without apparent causal connection"

Actually there is absolutely nothing remarkable about eclipses. With only 365 days each year and 700 million total solar eclipses, it is statistically probable there have been 1-2 million solar eclipses on the two dates in question - and, of course, every other optional date of the 365 - also then, not remarkable either.

Humorous though. Humorous indeed.

And a little disturbing I think.

But please...let us deny it and defend it further...

Or just "lighten up" as advised.....and perhaps update our perspective accordingly. Just sayin'....

:lol: :-& :oops: :shock: 8)