Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:29 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted:  
Hello all,

Im back with my questions again.... O:)

This thread is devoted to Jesus, Michael of Nebadon...there are so many titles for Him i dont know which one to use....

I have been searching the Urantia book today for stories about Jesus. I wanted to discover why the Jews never accepted Him. Almost all mono. faiths aknowledge him, although the stories may differ about the crucifixion and whether He left scripture behind... etc. I read even the Budhists of India have a story written about him in religious text, He supposedly travelled there ?

I cannot find in the U. book any stories about Him being rejected by the Jews. I was thinking maybe they did not accept Him because he was born of an Egyptian mother. Although His father was a Jew, His mother Mary was not. I know you are only considered a Jew if your mother is one, or both parents, but not the father alone. I was also thinking whether there was any symbolic meaning behind Judas' betrayal of Jesus, Judas means 'Jew' doesnt it...?

Does the Urantia book say why they would not recognize Him as a prophet or Son of God...?

Also, i want to ask, do you have the Abridged version of the Urantia book on this website, it is useful for learners like me for quick reference. If not the link is here below, is it possible for you to make it a sticky... please...

http://www.urantiabook.org/studies/SOE/SOE_index_I.htm

With Love

Sarah xxx

Last edited by Tasneem on Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:44 pm +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Hi again Tasneem,

Keep reading friend! The questions you ask are all in there, in the last section. You may not be able to find what you are looking for specifically by doing searches.

Just read the whole section.

And TUB reveals that Mary was a Jew in culture and by belief. Her lineage is described on page 1345 and she enjoyed numerous famous ancestors and racially was highly mixed. Ethiopia was not mentioned I'm afraid.

good luck and keep reading!

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted:  
Hello Woody

Oh i thought Mary was not a Jew but was adopted as a child by Jewish parents. Thanks for pages you provided i shall read....

Love Sarah xx

PostPosted:  

Tasneem wrote:
I have been searching the Urantia book today for stories about Jesus.

Part IV of the UB is called "The Life and Teachings of Jesus" - it could be called "Stories about Jesus from Eyewitnesses" :wink:

The trouble starts when people start talking about establishing "kingdoms". People heard it, but didn't get it when Jesus kept telling them that his kingdom is not of this world. Part IV does a good job of explaining what he meant, especially since Part I - III put the phrase "kingdom" in a specific context.

I like to make comparisons between "things" unseen. For instance, the most precise measurement of gravity by an atom interferometer is done by measuring the g-force which is a measurement of local acceleration due to the gravity in the area. Basically we are measuring how something reacts to gravity.

We can measure the actions and reactions to the Spirit as people are tuned in to it and inspired by it and LIVE it.

I like to note that the ancient civilizations of the Chinese and other Eastern peoples are free from "religious authorities" and have laws and social relationships that developed free from the "gravity" of "religious authority".

Here are two "prayers" from a Buddhist funeral ceremony:

'Even the gorgeous royal chariots wear out; and indeed this body too wears out. But the teaching of goodness does not age; and so Goodness makes that known to the good ones.'

May all beings everywhere plagued
with sufferings of body and mind
quickly be freed from their illnesses.
May those frightened cease to be afraid,
and may those bound be free.
May the powerless find power,
and may people think of befriending
one another.
May those who find themselves in trackless,
fearful wilderness--
the children, the aged, the unprotected--
be guarded by beneficent celestials,
and may they swiftly attain Buddhahood.
The Buddha

It took me 5 years to complete the UB, but then again, I have to devote at least 4 hours a day to shifting the wheat from the chaff in my line of work (that's outside of the 8 hours spent collecting raw data for "interpretation").

Such a life on such a planet...

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Hi Sarah,

Just a little history for you. The Jews did not reject Jesus or his teachings initially. In fact, the early "Christians" were a sect within Judaism, the "Jesus Cult". They were welcomed and included both Jew and Gentile. Many of the early arguments happened to be over what to do about circumcising the Gentiles and the observance of some Jewish rites of purity that they were unaccustomed to.

You have to remember that Galilee at the time of Jesus, and for most of the first century, was similar to the 1960's Berkley, CA, a hot bed of radicalism. There were many different Jewish sects. Some were very political and wanted to overturn the Romans, some, like the Essenes, were more aesthetic, monastic and apocalyptic.

The one thing they had in common was the belief in a single God. In addition, they believed desperately in a Messiah who would become the King of the Jews and reclaim power for the Jewish people. The early Christians promised that Jesus would return and fulfill this role.

After the fall of Jerusalem and the burning of the temple in 70ACE, the Jews and Jesus cult began to separate due to the lack of fulfillment of the promise. Soon they began to fight over theology as Paul had begun his teaching and incorporated the teachings of some of the mystery cults which were pagan. Things were finalized when Constantine, a Roman, made Christianity a state religion.

And there you have it in a nutshell. If you need to know more, you'll have to consult an historian because I've just exhausted all of my knowledge on the subject.

The UB states that Mary's racial background was Syrian, Hittite, Phoenician, Greek and Egyptian. It seems that the Celestials were looking for widespread racial connections when they chose her.

iris

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Greetings Sarah,

I think what is important to understand is that Christianity did not begin as a new religion but as a movement of monotheistic Jews who held Jesus (Yahshua) to be their God-sent king and deliverer . Here, in a sentence, is what is imperative to know about the origins of Christianity. Here we have the essential clue to the activities of Jesus and his first followers which helps to compensate for many material facts which are beyond recovery. Armed with this information we can get Christianity in correct persepective, and trace clearly and simply in the light of what is ascertainable how it was transformed into what it afterwards became.

It is often said that Christianity is founded upon a person. That is true. But it is only part of the historical truth. What, so to speak, was the person founded upon? The answer is that he was founded upon an idea , a strange idea current among the Jews of his time, an idea alien to Western thought which many nonJewish theologians still find very inconvenient, the idea of Messianism . It was Messianism which made the life of Jesus (Yahshua) what it was and so brought Christianity into being. It was Messianism, as accepted by Gentile believers, which contributed towards making the defication of Jesus inevitable . It was Messianism which provided the spiritual impulse behind the Jewish war with Rome which broke out in A.D. 66, resulting in the destruction of much authoritative testimony about Jesus and the substantial seperation of Gentile from Jewish Christianity. The fundamental teaching of Christianity, then, was that in Jesus the Messiah (the Christ) had come /

Sarah, hope that helps.
Hank

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Woops!
Quote:
defication of Jesus

You really had me goin' with that one Hank. Did you mean deification?
Thanks for the laugh.
iris

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Greetings Iris,
I see what you mean :shock: I even went over this before posting... well one got away from me, or should I say 'a big one' got away from me. Yes, I did mean deification .

Glad I made you chuckle though.
Hank

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Dear Hank,

It also makes me happy to know that I'm the only one that can read something a dozen times and still mess up the simplest thing. Thank goodness for spell check, but sometimes it fails us. I just thought this was particularly funny; that's why I pointed it out. (I guess I haven't grown up since I still chuckle at toilet humor)

Love to you, iris

PostPosted:  

Tasneem wrote:
Hello all,
Also, i want to ask, do you have the Abridged version of the Urantia book on this website, it is useful for learners like me for quick reference. If not the link is here below, is it possible for you to make it a sticky... please...
http://www.urantiabook.org/studies/SOE/SOE_index_I.htm
With Love
Sarah xxx

I don't have it, and I really don't like it.

Paper 1: The Universal Father
The Universal Father is the first source and center of all things. He is a creator, a controller, and an upholder. All enlightened beings worship God the Father and have one supreme ambition—to become like him.

c'mon.

Embrace Truth not a Book!

Post subject:
PostPosted:  
JorgeUrantia.....
Quote:
Paper 1: The Universal Father

The Universal Father is the first source and center of all things. He is a creator, a controller, and an upholder. All enlightened beings worship God the Father and have one supreme ambition—to become like him.

"I don't have it, and I really don't like it."

Why whats wrong with that... :-s

Love Sarah xxx

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Iris wrote:
Dear Hank,

It also makes me happy to know that I'm the only one that can read something a dozen times and still mess up the simplest thing. Thank goodness for spell check, but sometimes it fails us. I just thought this was particularly funny; that's why I pointed it out. (I guess I haven't grown up since I still chuckle at toilet humor)

Love to you, iris

Well hello again Iris,
"A joyful heart makes for good health" (Proverbs 17:22)

It's funny... I even found myself looking up "defication" in the dictionary when you pointed it out. No such word. Relief.

From a earlier post you said...
Quote:
Soon they began to fight over theology as Paul had begun his teaching and incorporated the teachings of some of the mystery cults which were pagan.

Oh that liar Paul. From what I've read, did you know that Paul's home town was Troas, which was the capital of Mithraism ? Paul gave the non-Jew nothing more that what they already had; for in the pagain mystery religions, the old pagan concepts were rolled into Jesus by Paul for Gentile acceptance. They did not have to accept Judaism per se, Paul would simply remold Jesus into neo-pagan to which they could relate. Such is the reckless acts of one desperately trying to be received and accepted because of his rejection by James and the Jerusalem Church.

Peace and love
Hank

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Yes mostly true Hank but TUB also encourages us to consider that Paul was entirely sincere and he had NO idea that his letters and writings would later be taken and compiled into a body of material that would be incorporated into a later holy book which would become revered as the "inspired word of God".

So there's no need for anyone to advance to the next world when your time comes and try to organize a lynch mob and go looking for 'ol Paula of Tarsus and give him a good thrashing. :P

A review of Paper 195 After Pentecost, is good material

Last edited by Woody on Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:09 pm +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Hi Hank,

Yeah, you're right. The toilet humor word is defecate.

You are right about Paul, even if he was sincere, he did much to produce some of our present day conundrums.
He was born in Tarsus (in present day Turkey) as a Roman tent builder, but was baptized in Damascus. It's no wonder he returned to his homeland, and especially to Ephesus and the Temple to Artemis to convert pagans. Artemis was one of the seven wonders of the ancient world and the most important pagan goddess of the day. Pilgrims came from throughout Asia Minor to worship her, so he had a ready made audience.

The UB has amazing information about Mithraism and what Christianity borrowed from it:
1. The myth of the big flood
2. Holy water
3. The concept of a suffering savior who brings salvation to a world tortured by original sin
4. The birth of the sun god on Dec. 25th
5. Eating flesh and drinking blood from sacrificial animals (thank goodness the Christians used symbolism instead)
6. Special weekly ceremonials on the day of the sun-god.
7. The concept of a judgment day
8. The wicked destroyed by fire and the righteous having everlasting life

The only big difference between the two religions was militarism and the exclusion of women.

This is not the only problem I have with Paul. The other is the issue of celibacy. However, he did not do as much to stigmatize Christianity as St. Augustine; and that's a whole other issue entirely; one we probably shouldn't get into because it is totally off topic and probably too sensitive for this forum.

iris

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Dear Sarah, and All,

Stay tuned to the Truthbook site. There is a new feature, still in production, called Great Jesus Stories, which highlights many, many stories and events in Jesus' life, among them these stories about the prevailing political atmosphere of Jesus' times, and the problems that the Master's "good news" created for these leaders and followers.

All the stories have been culled from the Jesus Papers and are being illustrated and linked, and many are already available.

The link is on the left-hand side of the main page (in blue). This may help you to pinpoint events in Jesus' life which deal with these questions.

MaryJo

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next