Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:48 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
PostPosted:  

Hi All,

My name is MaryJo...I am new to this forum, and glad to be here.
I have been blessed with the Revelation for over 20 years now, and I never get tired of it, never feel I really know it, and always find something new each time I pick it up. The truths I have learned changed my life - dramatically - and I only wish I had found it sooner, but I'm so grateful that it showed up when it did. Yes - the Urantia Book found me, not the other way around...thank you God!!!

I've been working at Jesusonian and for Truthbook for about a year now, and I am just now getting around to exploring and joining this great discussion board. I have been reading some of the recent threads on the board, and as always, I am amazed at the variety of wonderful people who are drawn to the UB, and the inspiring, thoughtful, knowledgeable posts I read. I know a few of you who write, and look forward to saying howdy, and also making new friends.

I remember being a new reader, and going to worship services, study groups, or conferences with groups of UB readers, and I was always struck by the same thing...people who in another life might never have much to say to one another, but with The Urantia Book as a commonality, all these diverse folks just talked up a storm, and made the rooms sparkle with their wit, wisdom and good natures. Truth-seekers, all...and I felt - and still feel - so grateful to be a part of this "invisible church" that isn't anything like any other church that I know of.

I always have this feeling of true connection with other reader/believers - we seem able to cut through a lot of the superficialities that otherwise prevent people from connecting to each other. It's easier to have real conversations that go deep and true right off the bat...

It's so nice, makes me dare to hope that that's the way the world will be one day - "unity, not uniformity" in action, fueled by Love.

I am excited to be part of this forum, and hope to be a good member. I'll do my best to contribute and to be helpful.

God bless us, every one!

So long, 2006, and Happy New Year 2007!!! YAY!!!

MaryJo

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Hi, Mary Jo,

Welcome, and Happy New Year! What a nice new beginning! The Truthbook chat list does provide an opportunity to experience that suggestion about
Quote:
It is not so important to love all men today as it is that each day you learn to love one more human being. If each day or each week you achieve an understanding of one more of your fellows, and if this is the limit of your ability, then you are certainly socializing and truly spiritualizing your personality. P. 1098

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Welcome MaryJo! I look forward to your posts! Happy New Year.

God's Blessings be with you! :smile:

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Greetings to you MaryJo and Happy New Year,

Welcome :wink:

Quote:
The truths I have learned changed my life - dramatically - and I only wish I had found it sooner, but I'm so grateful that it showed up when it did. Yes - the Urantia Book found me, not the other way around...thank you God!!!

MaryJo... I share the same experience. The Urantia Book to me is the "icing on the cake" O:) if you know what I mean?

Look forward to your contributions here at Truthbook. com.

Hank

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Hi Mary Jo,

We are on the same page, so to speak. :smile: We are all truth seekers here and we all are kindred spirits as a result. It's great to have you here and I look forward to your posts.

Mr. Shakita

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

WellCome Sister Mary Jo

I 2nd those Emotions :smile: TruthBook is a great Situation to be In . :wink: We Are Blessed to have you here amoung us All . The Golden Ruler's % Thee Second Milers . Mary Jo How Did the U Papers Find You ?

Tell our Brother Gremlin That He & The Many Behind the Scenes Admin Staff/s Of TruthBook.Com . That so Many Daily Are Blessed Worldwide By their Service Here . Bless them All . In the Fathers Virus Of Love .

Blessed are the Peacemakers Peace on Earth Goodwill to Mankind .
Namastae
Faith son
Coop

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Dear Coop, and All,

Thanks for all your warm, welcoming posts. I am a little overwhelmed by the sheer amount of material on this forum, but I am still wading through and getting a feel for how things work here...

As to my introduction to the UB...

In 1984, I saw the Urantia Book way back in a dusty old used bookstore. It rang a bell with me, as I had heard about it years before, but it was $15 - a large expenditiure for me then - and I was not prepared to buy it, so I forgot about it.

That next year was marked by extremes in my personal life. No need to go into details, but the final result was that I found myself in the blackest depression of my life. In the heart of that blackness, I finally surrendered to God - the God of my youth in Catholicism, the Jesus of Catholicism, and I consider that time to be the hour of my birth of the Spirit, and it marked the beginning of my ascent out of the pit into which I had dug myself. I began my process by going to Mass, saying the Rosary, and crying - a lot.

Along about this time, in the Summer, I went to a street fair here in Denver. There was a booth sponsored by The Urantia Book, and I happened to pick up some pamphlets. I still was not motivated to buy the book, but took the pamphlets home. I read the "selected excerpts" and I was blown away with what I was reading. It seemed to fit the direction that I was heading in - that being the direction toward God. Just the excerpts in the pamphlet seemed to answer questions I had never thought there were answers to. It was such a relief to know that there was something beside the Catholic church to which I could hitch my hopes. Not to dis the church, but it definitely has its drawbacks...although its rites and rituals were very helpful to me during that time of dawning light in my life.

On a whim, I went back to that dusty old bookstore one day, and much to my surprise, I found that same Urantia Book, on the same shelf. It was as though it had been earmarked for me, just waiting for my return. I bought the book that day, and I have never looked back.

It was a long road to a sort of normalcy, after years and years of self-willed existence, but it was a sure road, and I knew that if I kept reading that book, I was going to change. I knew it was not going to be easy, and it was not - but I was happy and hopeful for the first time in many years, in spite of the inner work I felt mandated to do.

And that work has gone on - sometimes intensely, sometimes less so, but always has my UBook been at my side. For months, I read it on my own, and became totally convinced that it was exactly what it claimed to be. But soon, I really needed to know if there were others out there, so I ran an ad in the Denver paper, asking for someone to answer who knew this book. I got a reply from Julio Edwards, and I attended my first UB study group on New Years Day 1986, and began meeting the people who have become my spiritual siblings over the years. Some of those folks are still my soul-buddies to this day, and the truest friends I have ever had.

I count the finding of the Urantia Book to be the single most signifiant happening in my life - bar none. Even when I dismissed God, he never dismissed me, and planned so well for my return to him.

Thanks for asking, Coop. This has been a trip down memory lane for me...

Blessings to all,

MaryJo

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

MaryJo - Hi :smile:

I've read this specific thread with great interest. Thank You for being so candid in introducing Yourself as a Truthbooker, to us, Your fellow Truthbookers :P

Welcome! You being an ancient Reader compared to some of us, can only be an asset. I'm looking forward to learn from You as well.

Due to me having joined SPAD 07 may cause me not to be too visible here at Truthbook, but I will be regularly looking out for your interaction - as well as the cavorting of all our other wonderful good friends ...

Be Blessed, ALL of YOU ... but for now, have got some serious reading to do O:)

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

:shock: :shock:

Last edited by Woody on Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:44 pm +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted:  

Woody,

That's really interesting, because the book I bought from that used book-store has a stamp on its spine which says "withdrawn." I always assumed that it meant that the book had been rejected and "withdrawn" from a libraby or other collection.

Loved your story...it parallels mine in some respects.

Funny how some of us come to the book through spiritual seeking, others come to it almost exclusively through intellectual pursuit. But eventually, I think we all settle somewhere in the middle, as it is such a wonderful means of integratiing the whole person. It is truly what I would call "wholistic."

I just had that thought - maybe because you talked of your science-minded friend

Thanks, Woody.

maryjo

PS: And thanks to Arno, too, and all of you, for writing to me...

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]