Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Wed May 25, 2022 3:10 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 855 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57
PostPosted:  

What an unfortunate display of self importance and disregard for the topic and thread, as well as more smug condescension. Mark has been encouraged multiple times to start his own thread and discussion but piracy and hijacking are certainly more his style.

Proof positive of an ideological agenda and seeking an audience for personal political rhetoric.

Some people seek only self-justifications and validation from the Papers for their personal prejudices.

A pity.

Hubris...on steroids.

:(

A posted reply on another topic one year ago by Maryjo:

"mrlucky, if you are unhappy with the rules of posting and see them as nothing mohttps://forum.truthbook.com/posting.p ... p=81210#re than censorship, then this is not the place for you. If there were no such rules, this forum would descend quickly into a free-for-all and the purpose of the forum would be quickly forgotten. Experience has shown that the rules are a good thing to help us stay on-topic and out of the weeds. And to keep disruptions - and disruptors - to a minimum.

And btw, what's wrong with UB happy talk? I much prefer hope and goodness and love and the beauty of the teachings of Jesus to wallowing in despair, which is what all of these terrible problems tend to inspire in me. Jesus did not advertise evil or concentrate his attention on it.

But as it is, in my view, true love and brotherhood are the only remedies for such sweeping threats to our well-being. Spiritual uplift is needed on a planetary scale.

What more can be said? What more can we do here on our forum outside of keeping our personal side of the street clean, making responsible choices with our food dollars and our votes in the ballot box and living lives of service to God and to others? Being channels of God's love to our world? Being good stewards of our part of the world? If that's no more than "happy talk," then you do the revelation a dis-service.

I am asking you one last time to please stop coming in here with your sledgehammer of negativity. We're here to discuss The Urantia Book, which is a fount of goodness and positivity for those who have the eyes to see.

maryjo"

Yet the "sledgehammer" plagues us still..... :-s

I too have been the beneficiary of Maryjo's patience. 555 :wink:

Last edited by fanofVan on Fri May 06, 2022 6:19 am +0000, edited 4 times in total.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

Quote:
So you advise going somewhere else to discuss controversial topics

Yes. This discussion with you is closed. All further posts attempting to have your way will be deleted. I don't have any more time for this.

PostPosted:  

fanofVan wrote:
shrimpythai wrote:
the papers 178:1.3 to 1.8 are keepers - whoa - starting to read your post i was going to say that JC did say give unto Ceasar what is his and give unto God what is God's 5 5 5
and there it is right there in 178-1.3 - too good - OK need to get thru more papers here - more Marriage stuff - "unerringly compels man to think and eventually leads him to love"

So... causes and effects. Evolutionary progress is the result of the effects from causes and our response to suffering the effects of causes. The UB says early, primitive people did not really think until and unless hungry. We think to solve or reduce suffering. Within marriage and family, we have to consider the suffering of others.

We begin to protect others, and shelter and feed others. We share. We care. We develop loyalty and duty and self sacrifice. Love is a circuit we connect to only by having love for and expressing love to others.

These feelings are sourced from our Divine Connection and grow to include more and more people, the limits and radius of those feelings defining our personal spiritization and experiential wisdom progress. But the love, loyalty, and duty expressed for even one other person makes the immortal seed complete and functional in its cosmic potential.

8)

100:4.5 (1098.2) In the mind’s eye conjure up a picture of one of your primitive ancestors of cave-dwelling times—a short, misshapen, filthy, snarling hulk of a man standing, legs spread, club upraised, breathing hate and animosity as he looks fiercely just ahead. Such a picture hardly depicts the divine dignity of man. But allow us to enlarge the picture. In front of this animated human crouches a saber-toothed tiger. Behind him, a woman and two children. Immediately you recognize that such a picture stands for the beginnings of much that is fine and noble in the human race, but the man is the same in both pictures. Only, in the second sketch you are favored with a widened horizon. You therein discern the motivation of this evolving mortal. His attitude becomes praiseworthy because you understand him. If you could only fathom the motives of your associates, how much better you would understand them. If you could only know your fellows, you would eventually fall in love with them.

100:4.6 (1098.3) You cannot truly love your fellows by a mere act of the will. Love is only born of thoroughgoing understanding of your neighbor’s motives and sentiments. It is not so important to love all men today as it is that each day you learn to love one more human being. If each day or each week you achieve an understanding of one more of your fellows, and if this is the limit of your ability, then you are certainly socializing and truly spiritualizing your personality. Love is infectious, and when human devotion is intelligent and wise, love is more catching than hate. But only genuine and unselfish love is truly contagious. If each mortal could only become a focus of dynamic affection, this benign virus of love would soon pervade the sentimental emotion-stream of humanity to such an extent that all civilization would be encompassed by love, and that would be the realization of the brotherhood of man.

8)

So...it is not political rhetoric or politics at all that can change the causes of undesirable effects OR change the undesirable effects either one.

Our perception of reality is not accurate we are taught by the Papers. Spiritization changes our perception of reality first, not reality itself. We must change our perceptions of and attitudes towards reality - personal, local, national, planetary, and cosmic realities to experience and express God's friendly universe in our own reality perspective. Only then can we effectively contribute to real changes in reality by the actualization of personal and social potentials.

Or so I understand the UB to teach.

A little Zen: Things are not as they appear... and neither are they different! (At least they are not and cannot be different until our own perceptions allow it.)

8)

195:5.12 (2076.3) As you view the world, remember that the black patches of evil which you see are shown against a white background of ultimate good. You do not view merely white patches of good which show up miserably against a black background of evil.

195:5.13 (2076.4) When there is so much good truth to publish and proclaim, why should men dwell so much upon the evil in the world just because it appears to be a fact? The beauties of the spiritual values of truth are more pleasurable and uplifting than is the phenomenon of evil.

195:5.14 (2076.5) In religion, Jesus advocated and followed the method of experience, even as modern science pursues the technique of experiment. We find God through the leadings of spiritual insight, but we approach this insight of the soul through the love of the beautiful, the pursuit of truth, loyalty to duty, and the worship of divine goodness. But of all these values, love is the true guide to real insight.

8) Bradly

Well, well....back in the ditch so quickly...

Let's try again to remain on track??

Causes....and effects.

The marriage union and family unit as the elemental and foundational experience for the evolutionary process of personal and social progress which carries humanity forward and upward from the trees to the cave to the tribe and homemaking to village to city to nation to global culture and ultimately to Light and Life!!

An incredible journey that begins around the hearth fires but before even the hearth itself.

Amazing!! :biggrin: 8)

45:6.5 (516.3) The ascending midway creatures and the evolutionary seraphim must pass through this parenthood experience in association with the Material Sons and Daughters of the system headquarters. Thus do such nonreproducing ascenders obtain the experience of parenthood by assisting the Jerusem Adams and Eves in rearing and training their progeny.

45:6.6 (516.4) All mortal survivors who have not experienced parenthood on the evolutionary worlds must also obtain this necessary training while sojourning in the homes of the Jerusem Material Sons and as parental associates of these superb fathers and mothers. This is true except in so far as such mortals have been able to compensate their deficiencies on the system nursery located on the first transitional-culture world of Jerusem.

8)

Last edited by fanofVan on Fri May 06, 2022 5:53 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted:  

shrimpythai wrote:
Hi all - just wanted to make a first post and see how I go - started reading the book from the top - moved around some and then picked book 4 to check - just to say it is blowing me away with the details of JC's life - read the Pilate parts to the end and decided I better read from the start of book 4 - totally amazing... will go back to books 1-2-3 after I read book 4 now. just some notes - I am 60 now - have a 47 yr old thai wife- never had kids in my previous life in canada and the usa - 14 yrs in us and 26 in vancouver bc and now 20 in thailand - doing hydraulic seal and gaskets for industrial and mobile machines here - good thai company - biz is good -done all my life and my dad did as well - anyway - just read the early years and how JC was at the temple at 13 and saw all the traditions - blood- sacrificing animals and the money in the temple etc - - and yes it still goes on - religions bowing to idols and stuff - just wanted to mention as well - even here in thailand - lots of money goes into the religion here and gets lost in deep pockets - as it does also in western religions - one of favorite sayings is that if JC and or Buddha came back now they would both be upset with what has gone on in the name of there religions - but also the fact that JC didn't start a religion - buddha either - they just just wanted people to learn how to love their fellow man and realize that it up to each one to make themselves more spiritual... BUddha maybe got wires crossed on the reincarnation thing - but i sure like the acension talk in the UB...
anyway - just wanted to put a few thoughts down and see how the post goes - the first 3 books are going to take some time to get thru - but am flying thru the real story of Jesus's life on earth - am amazed at the detail of his life which is not found in any book on this planet - whoa ...will post more in future as I go - but am getting right into it and trying to read as much as I can assimilate every day - am getting the mind thoughts now to get the book read asap...
thanks for the forum - will try to post more
let me know good or bad !

steve
thailand

Posted 3 years ago!!!!!!!! :biggrin:

What a journey of discovery and exploration and sharing. Thanks Steve!

This has been the most followed and popular topical thread in TruthBook's history. As Maryjo points out above, this thread illustrates the primary objective of this study group site. A place to share the unique universe reality perspective in the UB and expand our personal philosophy of living to better appreciate and enjoy our place in the universal family of God's beloved children and friendly universe.

Happy Talk!! Indeed so. The UB teaches that we are assured of God's grace and mercy and patience and adoration and protection and patient guidance through all trials and tribulation, all calamity and tragedy and disappointments, and all material failures and losses... as well as fill our hearts with peace and satisfaction and joy by the triumph of the Spirit by truth, beauty, and goodness.

No matter our situation or circumstances, we can overcome the vicissitudes of living and embrace the adventure delivered by uncertainty by simple faith in the very real Presence Within. The caring and sharing we experience and express propels our journey to Paradise and lessens the burdens and suffering of this world whose destiny is certain and in the very capable hands of the Most Highs.

As we are learning in this Topical and sequential study of the Urantia Papers here with you Steve/Shrimpythai is how the evolutionary process delivers the social wisdom needed for every world to progress from the slime to the sublime!

We are taught to Fear Not!! And that all anxiety must be abandoned!! And to trust the Most Highs and God's power and plan. And perceive reality objectively through the time unit lens of past and future and current trajectories of evolutionary mass and momentum.

Let the fearful be fearful and the anxious to be so. But the assurances given us in the UB are intended, I believe, to ease our stress and worry and feed our hope and trust and to deliver peace of mind and joy so that we might live today as if already in eternal partnership and certainty of destiny!!

8)

102:2.2 (1119.7) One of the characteristic peculiarities of genuine religious assurance is that, notwithstanding the absoluteness of its affirmations and the stanchness of its attitude, the spirit of its expression is so poised and tempered that it never conveys the slightest impression of self-assertion or egoistic exaltation. The wisdom of religious experience is something of a paradox in that it is both humanly original and Adjuster derivative. Religious force is not the product of the individual’s personal prerogatives but rather the outworking of that sublime partnership of man and the everlasting source of all wisdom. Thus do the words and acts of true and undefiled religion become compellingly authoritative for all enlightened mortals.

102:2.3 (1119.8) It is difficult to identify and analyze the factors of a religious experience, but it is not difficult to observe that such religious practitioners live and carry on as if already in the presence of the Eternal. Believers react to this temporal life as if immortality already were within their grasp. In the lives of such mortals there is a valid originality and a spontaneity of expression that forever segregate them from those of their fellows who have imbibed only the wisdom of the world. Religionists seem to live in effective emancipation from harrying haste and the painful stress of the vicissitudes inherent in the temporal currents of time; they exhibit a stabilization of personality and a tranquillity of character not explained by the laws of physiology, psychology, and sociology.

8)

14:5.10 (159.6) Love of adventure, curiosity, and dread of monotony—these traits inherent in evolving human nature—were not put there just to aggravate and annoy you during your short sojourn on earth, but rather to suggest to you that death is only the beginning of an endless career of adventure, an everlasting life of anticipation, an eternal voyage of discovery.

14:5.11 (160.1) Curiosity—the spirit of investigation, the urge of discovery, the drive of exploration—is a part of the inborn and divine endowment of evolutionary space creatures. These natural impulses were not given you merely to be frustrated and repressed. True, these ambitious urges must frequently be restrained during your short life on earth, disappointment must be often experienced, but they are to be fully realized and gloriously gratified during the long ages to come.

:biggrin:

PostPosted:  

Shrimpythai Steve - I look forward to your continued studies and posts here!

Like Maryjo, I too apologize for my own contributions to the recent distraction, disruption, and detour from the flow of your reading progress and sharing here. Your posts of opinions and questions have been engaging, illuminating, and relevant - and present a welcome perspective.

We all approach the text with our own opinions, beliefs, and reality perspective. Comparing and contrasting those with the text is always interesting and often a little challenging, but you have demonstrated a great personal flexibility in considering the rather peculiar and particular reality perspective presented by the Papers. Not to mention your tenacity and great humor and sense of wonder you portray for us all to enjoy and learn thereby.

Thanks for being here. Looking forward to more.

As to politics...

Hmmmm....

I think the issue is that political problems do not truly present political solutions. Politics is an important evolutionary process of socialization and collective progress, but politics is really a set of strategies and tactics that is either determined and driven by reason and wisdom and morality and shared ideals, or more likely during a planet's earlier evolution, those priorities and strategies are determined by self interest and power structures of greed and self perpetuation (what I call the conspiracy of power - power which corrupts).

The student body here includes folks from around the world and national or local political rhetoric and opinions is simply inappropriate and irrelevant to most and obscures the perspective of reality we study in the Papers.

I think most people agree on the problems. They are universal and linger from a long, long history known to all alike. The UB teaches that the solutions to all human and material and social and governance problems lie within the Golden Rule and Brotherhood of all beings - mortal, celestial, and Divine. The solutions needed cannot be legislated or enforced we are taught.

Therefore are our personal political opinions about national or local political issues and problems and disagreements intrusive distractions that contribute nothing of great value here I do not think. But there are those who occasionally attend here who are quite obsessed by certain trigger issues of great importance and urgency to them. Some of those are political beliefs and others are a broad spectrum of perspective prejudices and personal beliefs they hope to confirm by the Papers. Many of those are ultimately disappointed.

Just a few thoughts about the time unit perspective and the momentary and fleeting issues of recent and local political disagreements which occasionally arise here.

8)

PostPosted:  

mrlucky1x:

These passages from The Urantia Book probably deserve a separate topic, and should not be used to divert the 50+ pages of ongoing exploration of The Urantia Book by shrimpythai.

Therefore, I am deleting the posts that introduce them from yesterday (and all responses). And any new posts on this thread having to do with political issues will be deleted.

Fair warning: I am not optimistic about the success of a new thread that deals with these issues, given the strong opinions that they inspire in these days of unrest in our world, and even among Urantia Book readers. So, any new thread on these hot-button politically sensitive issues will be closely monitored for "discussions about political campaigns, political parties, an individual's or group's political leanings, or politicians" which "are not allowed."

Quote:
Just quoting Jesus for you bro. You need to integrate *ALL* of his teachings not just cherry pick. These are teachings that we have been given. I'm not recommending any, "priorities and strategies and tactics and targets." that is between you and God.

71:2.1 (801.13) Democracy, while an ideal, is a product of civilization, not of evolution. Go slowly! select carefully! for the dangers of democracy are:

71:2.2 (801.14) 1. Glorification of mediocrity.

71:2.3 (801.15) 2. Choice of base and ignorant rulers.

71:2.4 (801.16) 3. Failure to recognize the basic facts of social evolution.

71:2.5 (801.17) 4. Danger of universal suffrage in the hands of uneducated and indolent majorities.

71:2.6 (801.18) 5. Slavery to public opinion; the majority is not always right.

AND:

Quote:
173:1:11 (1891.1) This episode also demonstrates that Jesus did not look with approval upon the refusal to employ force to protect the majority of any given human group against the unfair and enslaving practices of unjust minorities who may be able to entrench themselves behind political, financial, or ecclesiastical power.

PostPosted:  

So....experiential wisdom is the inevitable result of the religious experience, and its repercussions are the evolutionary progress of the family, tribe, community, nation, world, AND universes of time.

Experiential Wisdom is an effect... but also becomes a cause. Experiential Wisdom is the realization of evolutionary potential and results in new and greater evolutionary potential.

Evolutionary progress is determined by and demonstrated by and the very expression of Experintial Wisdom.

Experiential Wisdom reflects realty-ization of potential ...individually and also collectively.

Even tadpoles without great knowledge or understanding of universe realities and even tadpoles with false beliefs and primitive superstitions can gain experiential wisdom by their/our faith experience and the Divine Assurance which always responds to the hopes and ideals and spirit nature of all beings, great or small.

Experiential wisdom has a great purpose and value in Heaven and the Grand Universe and all the many universes of creation still to come in time. Those universes and trillions of trillions of new worlds to come will benefit and be shaped by the experiential and evolutionary achievements of those of us mortals and celestials who now ascend in time.

Perfection is completed and and enhanced by the process of progressive, evolutionary, experiential wisdom acquirement. Or so I understand. The perfecting process unleashes new and greater potentials. But trial and error is the evolutionary process of progress. Errors are inevitable and vital to wisdom. Suffering is the source of its own solution in a way.

We cannot wait for perfection or wisdom BEFORE we evolve and mature and error. Cause and effect. Perfection and wisdom are the effects OR results of trial and error evolutionary experience. No waiting allowed for progress.

The family is the mortal's elementary social unit for the building of civilization and the universal family of creation.

3:5.5 (51.4) The uncertainties of life and the vicissitudes of existence do not in any manner contradict the concept of the universal sovereignty of God. All evolutionary creature life is beset by certain inevitabilities. Consider the following:

3:5.6 (51.5) 1. Is courage—strength of character—desirable? Then must man be reared in an environment which necessitates grappling with hardships and reacting to disappointments.

3:5.7 (51.6) 2. Is altruism—service of one’s fellows—desirable? Then must life experience provide for encountering situations of social inequality.

3:5.8 (51.7) 3. Is hope—the grandeur of trust—desirable? Then human existence must constantly be confronted with insecurities and recurrent uncertainties.

3:5.9 (51. 4. Is faith—the supreme assertion of human thought—desirable? Then must the mind of man find itself in that troublesome predicament where it ever knows less than it can believe.

3:5.10 (51.9) 5. Is the love of truth and the willingness to go wherever it leads, desirable? Then must man grow up in a world where error is present and falsehood always possible.

3:5.11 (51.10) 6. Is idealism—the approaching concept of the divine—desirable? Then must man struggle in an environment of relative goodness and beauty, surroundings stimulative of the irrepressible reach for better things.

3:5.12 (51.11) 7. Is loyalty—devotion to highest duty—desirable? Then must man carry on amid the possibilities of betrayal and desertion. The valor of devotion to duty consists in the implied danger of default.

3:5.13 (51.12) 8. Is unselfishness—the spirit of self-forgetfulness—desirable? Then must mortal man live face to face with the incessant clamoring of an inescapable self for recognition and honor. Man could not dynamically choose the divine life if there were no self-life to forsake. Man could never lay saving hold on righteousness if there were no potential evil to exalt and differentiate the good by contrast.

3:5.14 (51.13) 9. Is pleasure—the satisfaction of happiness—desirable? Then must man live in a world where the alternative of pain and the likelihood of suffering are ever-present experiential possibilities.

3:5.15 (52.1) Throughout the universe, every unit is regarded as a part of the whole. Survival of the part is dependent on co-operation with the plan and purpose of the whole, the wholehearted desire and perfect willingness to do the Father’s divine will. The only evolutionary world without error (the possibility of unwise judgment) would be a world without free intelligence. In the Havona universe there are a billion perfect worlds with their perfect inhabitants, but evolving man must be fallible if he is to be free. Free and inexperienced intelligence cannot possibly at first be uniformly wise. The possibility of mistaken judgment (evil) becomes sin only when the human will consciously endorses and knowingly embraces a deliberate immoral judgment.

3:5.16 (52.2) The full appreciation of truth, beauty, and goodness is inherent in the perfection of the divine universe. The inhabitants of the Havona worlds do not require the potential of relative value levels as a choice stimulus; such perfect beings are able to identify and choose the good in the absence of all contrastive and thought-compelling moral situations. But all such perfect beings are, in moral nature and spiritual status, what they are by virtue of the fact of existence. They have experientially earned advancement only within their inherent status. Mortal man earns even his status as an ascension candidate by his own faith and hope. Everything divine which the human mind grasps and the human soul acquires is an experiential attainment; it is a reality of personal experience and is therefore a unique possession in contrast to the inherent goodness and righteousness of the inerrant personalities of Havona.

3:5.17 (52.3) The creatures of Havona are naturally brave, but they are not courageous in the human sense. They are innately kind and considerate, but hardly altruistic in the human way. They are expectant of a pleasant future, but not hopeful in the exquisite manner of the trusting mortal of the uncertain evolutionary spheres. They have faith in the stability of the universe, but they are utter strangers to that saving faith whereby mortal man climbs from the status of an animal up to the portals of Paradise. They love the truth, but they know nothing of its soul-saving qualities. They are idealists, but they were born that way; they are wholly ignorant of the ecstasy of becoming such by exhilarating choice. They are loyal, but they have never experienced the thrill of wholehearted and intelligent devotion to duty in the face of temptation to default. They are unselfish, but they never gained such levels of experience by the magnificent conquest of a belligerent self. They enjoy pleasure, but they do not comprehend the sweetness of the pleasure escape from the pain potential.

8) Some happy talk:

181:1.8 (1954.5) ......The peace which Michael gives his children on earth is that very peace which filled his own soul when he himself lived the mortal life in the flesh and on this very world. The peace of Jesus is the joy and satisfaction of a God-knowing individual who has achieved the triumph of learning fully how to do the will of God while living the mortal life in the flesh. The peace of Jesus’ mind was founded on an absolute human faith in the actuality of the divine Father’s wise and sympathetic overcare. Jesus had trouble on earth, he has even been falsely called the “man of sorrows,” but in and through all of these experiences he enjoyed the comfort of that confidence which ever empowered him to proceed with his life purpose in the full assurance that he was achieving the Father’s will.

181:1.9 (1954.6) Jesus was determined, persistent, and thoroughly devoted to the accomplishment of his mission, but he was not an unfeeling and calloused stoic; he ever sought for the cheerful aspects of his life experiences, but he was not a blind and self-deceived optimist. The Master knew all that was to befall him, and he was unafraid. After he had bestowed this peace upon each of his followers, he could consistently say, “Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.”

181:1.10 (1955.1) The peace of Jesus is, then, the peace and assurance of a son who fully believes that his career for time and eternity is safely and wholly in the care and keeping of an all-wise, all-loving, and all-powerful spirit Father. And this is, indeed, a peace which passes the understanding of mortal mind, but which can be enjoyed to the full by the believing human heart.

8)

PostPosted:  

Personal and social evolution is, like bio evolution, also subject to "survival of the fittest" (Darwin wasn't wrong about everything afterall). The "fittest" is that which survives and, we are taught, only that which is real or reality aligned and attuned will eventually and ultimately survive (again, socially and personally - remember that astro/geo/bio evolution is purely material and foundational to social and personal evolution).

The fittest survive competition and adversity. Both of those cause suffering. Suffering causes thinking, choosing, and doing...to reduce suffering....progress!!

Are there actual advantages and meaning and value which result from human suffering? How are wisdom and enlightenment and perfecting affected by suffering? How is the world and the universe affected by suffering?

How do we evolve by suffering? Remember that evolution is the process of progressive adaptation and perfecting. Let us consider how personal and social progress, evolution, and perfecting benefit from suffering.

We are taught that evolutionary and experiential life in-time is for the perfecting of the imperfect by the freewill choice of each personality born or created in time and imperfection. THIS is the very purpose of time and the plan and process created by the Creators and First Source and Center.

It is immature and blind to ask "Why is there suffering?" when one understands the plan for and purpose of perfecting the imperfect!! How could there possibly be no suffering??!! Consider the objective. All that is imperfect and weak and impure and unreliable and disloyal and untested and incomplete and inadequate and immature and inexperienced and incapable and ignorant and blind and self important and not yet forged and not tempered is not and cannot be perfect.

All of time is about perfecting. The potential of freewill, personality, and experience to develop wisdom and to choose perfecting and to realize truth, beauty, and goodness in both experience and our expressions of that reality experience is to actualize new levels of perfection...perfection achieved by the decisions and choices and actions (experience) of imperfect freewill personality in time.

To focus too intently upon suffering, whether our own or that of others even, tends to blind us and obscure the actual causes and results and very purpose of suffering. We are told early humans do not even think unless hungry or in pain...suffering.

Tools for hunting, gathering, planting, building come only to relieve suffering. Cooperation with others, community, trade, specialization, towns?? Progressive responses to relieve and reduce human suffering! Medicine, mass production, education, music, art, science? To reduce suffering. We act collectively to reduce personal suffering...our own and other's.

And if we don't? More suffering for longer by more people. And what motive best serves this reality? Love of others delivers perfecting progress best and fastest!! Suffering lasts longer and is more acute by acts of self importance. That's a fact. Deal with it. Learn that. Make better choices for better reasons and watch suffering subside and retreat.

Suffering has a purpose. It also has a cause. And it also has a solution. A simple solution. Not easy...but simple. Love one another. The greatest good for the greatest number is also the best for the each as well as for the all. How so?

In two ways...first, the individual is always eventually and ultimately best served when all others also are motivated by love of others. Always. Also...we are wired for reality response...which means our true happiness and joy and contentment and all the fruits of the Spirit only come to us in response to our embrace and expressions of truth, beauty, and goodness - LOVE!!!

103:5.5 (1134.3) Human happiness is achieved only when the ego desire of the self and the altruistic urge of the higher self (divine spirit) are co-ordinated and reconciled by the unified will of the integrating and supervising personality. The mind of evolutionary man is ever confronted with the intricate problem of refereeing the contest between the natural expansion of emotional impulses and the moral growth of unselfish urges predicated on spiritual insight—genuine religious reflection.

103:5.6 (1134.4) The attempt to secure equal good for the self and for the greatest number of other selves presents a problem which cannot always be satisfactorily resolved in a time-space frame. Given an eternal life, such antagonisms can be worked out, but in one short human life they are incapable of solution. Jesus referred to such a paradox when he said: “Whosoever shall save his life shall lose it, but whosoever shall lose his life for the sake of the kingdom, shall find it.”

103:5.7 (1134.5) The pursuit of the ideal—the striving to be Godlike—is a continuous effort before death and after. The life after death is no different in the essentials than the mortal existence. Everything we do in this life which is good contributes directly to the enhancement of the future life. Real religion does not foster moral indolence and spiritual laziness by encouraging the vain hope of having all the virtues of a noble character bestowed upon one as a result of passing through the portals of natural death. True religion does not belittle man’s efforts to progress during the mortal lease on life. Every mortal gain is a direct contribution to the enrichment of the first stages of the immortal survival experience.

103:5.8 (1134.6) It is fatal to man’s idealism when he is taught that all of his altruistic impulses are merely the development of his natural herd instincts. But he is ennobled and mightily energized when he learns that these higher urges of his soul emanate from the spiritual forces that indwell his mortal mind.

103:5.9 (1134.7) It lifts man out of himself and beyond himself when he once fully realizes that there lives and strives within him something which is eternal and divine. And so it is that a living faith in the superhuman origin of our ideals validates our belief that we are the sons of God and makes real our altruistic convictions, the feelings of the brotherhood of man.

103:5.10 (1134. Man, in his spiritual domain, does have a free will. Mortal man is neither a helpless slave of the inflexible sovereignty of an all-powerful God nor the victim of the hopeless fatality of a mechanistic cosmic determinism. Man is most truly the architect of his own eternal destiny.

8)

Me here: God created that which is and those who are perfect. His Paradise Creator Sons have created the universes of time and filled them with imperfect beings, who are each given personality, mind, freewill, and spirit by Paradise Deity, for the adventure of perfecting. 

So how is perfecting achieved by the imperfect? By the experience of adversity. Conflict. Dilemma and paradox. Perplexion and confusions. Problems and puzzles to solve. Disappointments and failure. Resolutions that require teamwork and collaborative cooperation. Right and wrong. Good choices and better choices. Outcomes of choices.  Unintended outcomes as well as the intended ones sometimes. Foolishness and wisdom. 

Pain and suffering are not desirable but they are inherently vital parts of the process. The avoidance and reduction and elimination of pain and suffering are the hamner and anvil and fire and water and steam of the forge of perfecting the imperfect by the freewill choices of the imperfect.

Perfection is not and cannot be required or forced upon the imperfect and also be chosen by freewill. Experiential wisdom is a great prize in the universe of universes!! There is no substitute or equal! Experiential wisdom cannot be given or bestowed one to another. There is only one way to acquire and achieve experiential wisdom. 

The personal religious experience delivers first the perfecting and purification of motive and intention and priorities long before experiential wisdom arrives. But the fruits of the Spirit arrive to us and our own suffering is relieved by the very faith experience that purifies our motive and philosophy of living that expresses that religious experience. 

In many ways, planetary progress evolution is dance or a stumble of two steps forward and one step back. We can, have, and do regress from time to time. As a world population we can become distracted by materialism or overcome by anxiety. There are certainly both potential good/progress and error/regression to be chosen with prosperity. There is the folly of the decadence of prosperity that humans are so adept at embracing to their detriment. And then there is the prosperity of leisure expressions which include education, science, art, and religious pursuits which advance the individual and the world in forward progress.

Materialism simply cannot ever deliver true happiness and satisfaction. Disappointment in materialism eventually leads us forward into further progress and wisdom. There are many agents for progress that also work to preserve progress and actualize that progress into social fabric and culture. Progress includes those who lead us forward into change and those who preserve prior change by reluctance to change and then there are those who are fearful of all change and work to be real obstacles to change.

All of these forces actually work together in their way to prevent over-rapid and destructive chaotic and unmanageable and unsustainable change while delivering the fact of change and progress to the greater population incrementally generation after generation. Not all change is good. But neither is the status quo preferable to all change. True progress requires progressives and those who resist progress both. The yin and the yang. The balance and harmony.

Or so I understand the teachings. 

8)

PostPosted:  

just read the posts from this week - will post today and over the weekend - been swamped at work and the step grandkids start school on tuesday now after 2 years
had to get out and buy new school clothes and stuff - Salmon has gotten a bit big in 2 years - needed all new school clothes -

anyway - will get back to posting

steve

PostPosted:  

Bradley - amazing and good post - whoa - the whole post you wrote is great - I AM Impressed ... wow

"Perfection is not and cannot be required or forced upon the imperfect and also be chosen by freewill. Experiential wisdom is a great prize in the universe of universes!! There is no substitute or equal! Experiential wisdom cannot be given or bestowed one to another. There is only one way to acquire and achieve experiential wisdom."

PostPosted:  

all of your post is great - very nice ! it really is a Mind over Matter type of deal - our human physical body is not gong to last too long - and you have to get your MIND overcoming all the BS that is limiting things down - but yah - on this planet - and what are you doing to get yourself ready for the life beyond this body and this material realm and get Onwards and Upwards ?

"The personal religious experience delivers first the perfecting and purification of motive and intention and priorities long before experiential wisdom arrives. But the fruits of the Spirit arrive to us and our own suffering is relieved by the very faith experience that purifies our motive and philosophy of living that expresses that religious experience.

In many ways, planetary progress evolution is dance or a stumble of two steps forward and one step back. We can, have, and do regress from time to time. As a world population we can become distracted by materialism or overcome by anxiety. There are certainly both potential good/progress and error/regression to be chosen with prosperity. There is the folly of the decadence of prosperity that humans are so adept at embracing to their detriment. And then there is the prosperity of leisure expressions which include education, science, art, and religious pursuits which advance the individual and the world in forward progress.

Materialism simply cannot ever deliver true happiness and satisfaction. Disappointment in materialism eventually leads us forward into further progress and wisdom. There are many agents for progress that also work to preserve progress and actualize that progress into social fabric and culture. Progress includes those who lead us forward into change and those who preserve prior change by reluctance to change and then there are those who are fearful of all change and work to be real obstacles to change."

PostPosted:  

I skipped a bit on Marriage - this is interesting tho

6. True Monogamy—Pair Marriage
83:6.1 (927.2) Monogamy is monopoly; it is good for those who attain this desirable state, but it tends to work a biologic hardship on those who are not so fortunate. But quite regardless of the effect on the individual, monogamy is decidedly best for the children.

83:6.2 (927.3) The earliest monogamy was due to force of circumstances, poverty. Monogamy is cultural and societal, artificial and unnatural, that is, unnatural to evolutionary man. It was wholly natural to the purer Nodites and Adamites and has been of great cultural value to all advanced races.

83:6.3 (927.4) The Chaldean tribes recognized the right of a wife to impose a premarital pledge upon her spouse not to take a second wife or concubine; both the Greeks and the Romans favored monogamous marriage. Ancestor worship has always fostered monogamy, as has the Christian error of regarding marriage as a sacrament. Even the elevation of the standard of living has consistently militated against plural wives. By the time of Michael’s advent on Urantia practically all of the civilized world had attained the level of theoretical monogamy. But this passive monogamy did not mean that mankind had become habituated to the practice of real pair marriage.

83:6.4 (927.5) While pursuing the monogamic goal of the ideal pair marriage, which is, after all, something of a monopolistic sex association, society must not overlook the unenviable situation of those unfortunate men and women who fail to find a place in this new and improved social order, even when having done their best to co-operate with, and enter into, its requirements. Failure to gain mates in the social arena of competition may be due to insurmountable difficulties or multitudinous restrictions which the current mores have imposed. Truly, monogamy is ideal for those who are in, but it must inevitably work great hardship on those who are left out in the cold of solitary existence.

83:6.5 (927.6) Always have the unfortunate few had to suffer that the majority might advance under the developing mores of evolving civilization; but always should the favored majority look with kindness and consideration on their less fortunate fellows who must pay the price of failure to attain membership in the ranks of those ideal sex partnerships which afford the satisfaction of all biologic urges under the sanction of the highest mores of advancing social evolution.

83:6.6 (927.7) Monogamy always has been, now is, and forever will be the idealistic goal of human sex evolution. marriage entails self-denial, and therefore does it so often fail just because one or both of the contracting parties are deficient in that acme of all human virtues, rugged self-control.

83:6.7 (927.8) Monogamy is the yardstick which measures the advance of social civilization as distinguished from purely biologic evolution. Monogamy is not necessarily biologic or natural, but it is indispensable to the immediate maintenance and further development of social civilization. It contributes to a delicacy of sentiment, a refinement of moral character, and a spiritual growth which are utterly impossible in polygamy. A woman never can become an ideal mother when she is all the while compelled to engage in rivalry for her husband’s affections.

83:6.8 (928.1) Pair marriage favors and fosters that intimate understanding and effective co-operation which is best for parental happiness, child welfare, and social efficiency. Marriage, which began in crude coercion, is gradually evolving into a magnificent institution of self-culture, self-control, self-expression, and self-perpetuation.

PostPosted:  

and more good stuff here on divorce

83:7.6 (928.7) The real test of marriage, all down through the ages, has been that continuous intimacy which is inescapable in all family life. Two pampered and spoiled youths, educated to expect every indulgence and full gratification of vanity and ego, can hardly hope to make a great success of marriage and home building—a lifelong partnership of self-effacement, compromise, devotion, and unselfish dedication to child culture.

83:7.7 (929.1) The high degree of imagination and fantastic romance entering into courtship is largely responsible for the increasing divorce tendencies among modern Occidental peoples, all of which is further complicated by woman’s greater personal freedom and increased economic liberty. Easy divorce, when the result of lack of self-control or failure of normal personality adjustment, only leads directly back to those crude societal stages from which man has emerged so recently and as the result of so much personal anguish and racial suffering.

83:7.8 (929.2) But just so long as society fails to properly educate children and youths, so long as the social order fails to provide adequate premarital training, and so long as unwise and immature youthful idealism is to be the arbiter of the entrance upon marriage, just so long will divorce remain prevalent. And in so far as the social group falls short of providing marriage preparation for youths, to that extent must divorce function as the social safety valve which prevents still worse situations during the ages of the rapid growth of the evolving mores.

83:7.9 (929.3) The ancients seem to have regarded marriage just about as seriously as some present-day people do. And it does not appear that many of the hasty and unsuccessful marriages of modern times are much of an improvement over the ancient practices of qualifying young men and women for mating. The great inconsistency of modern society is to exalt love and to idealize marriage while disapproving of the fullest examination of both.

PostPosted:  

yah this whole 83:8 is too good

8. The Idealization of Marriage
83:8.1 (929.4) Marriage which culminates in the home is indeed man’s most exalted institution, but it is essentially human; it should never have been called a sacrament. The Sethite priests made marriage a religious ritual; but for thousands of years after Eden, mating continued as a purely social and civil institution.

83:8.2 (929.5) The likening of human associations to divine associations is most unfortunate. The union of husband and wife in the marriage-home relationship is a material function of the mortals of the evolutionary worlds. True, indeed, much spiritual progress may accrue consequent upon the sincere human efforts of husband and wife to progress, but this does not mean that marriage is necessarily sacred. Spiritual progress is attendant upon sincere application to other avenues of human endeavor.

83:8.3 (929.6) Neither can marriage be truly compared to the relation of the Adjuster to man nor to the fraternity of Christ Michael and his human brethren. At scarcely any point are such relationships comparable to the association of husband and wife. And it is most unfortunate that the human misconception of these relationships has produced so much confusion as to the status of marriage.

83:8.4 (929.7) It is also unfortunate that certain groups of mortals have conceived of marriage as being consummated by divine action. Such beliefs lead directly to the concept of the indissolubility of the marital state regardless of the circumstances or wishes of the contracting parties. But the very fact of marriage dissolution itself indicates that Deity is not a conjoining party to such unions. If God has once joined any two things or persons together, they will remain thus joined until such a time as the divine will decrees their separation. But, regarding marriage, which is a human institution, who shall presume to sit in judgment, to say which marriages are unions that might be approved by the universe supervisors in contrast with those which are purely human in nature and origin?

83:8.5 (930.1) Nevertheless, there is an ideal of marriage on the spheres on high. On the capital of each local system the Material Sons and Daughters of God do portray the height of the ideals of the union of man and woman in the bonds of marriage and for the purpose of procreating and rearing offspring. After all, the ideal mortal marriage is humanly sacred.

83:8.6 (930.2) Marriage always has been and still is man’s supreme dream of temporal ideality. Though this beautiful dream is seldom realized in its entirety, it endures as a glorious ideal, ever luring progressing mankind on to greater strivings for human happiness. But young men and women should be taught something of the realities of marriage before they are plunged into the exacting demands of the interassociations of family life; youthful idealization should be tempered with some degree of premarital disillusionment.

83:8.7 (930.3) The youthful idealization of marriage should not, however, be discouraged; such dreams are the visualization of the future goal of family life. This attitude is both stimulating and helpful providing it does not produce an insensitivity to the realization of the practical and commonplace requirements of marriage and subsequent family life.

83:8.8 (930.4) The ideals of marriage have made great progress in recent times; among some peoples woman enjoys practically equal rights with her consort. In concept, at least, the family is becoming a loyal partnership for rearing offspring, accompanied by sexual fidelity. But even this newer version of marriage need not presume to swing so far to the extreme as to confer mutual monopoly of all personality and individuality. Marriage is not just an individualistic ideal; it is the evolving social partnership of a man and a woman, existing and functioning under the current mores, restricted by the taboos, and enforced by the laws and regulations of society.

83:8.9 (930.5) Twentieth-century marriages stand high in comparison with those of past ages, notwithstanding that the home institution is now undergoing a serious testing because of the problems so suddenly thrust upon the social organization by the precipitate augmentation of woman’s liberties, rights so long denied her in the tardy evolution of the mores of past generations.

83:8.10 (930.6) [Presented by the Chief of Seraphim stationed on Urantia.]

PostPosted:  

It is interesting how social ideals persist despite our frustration and failure to achieve them. And how progress toward our shared ideals is gained despite evolutionary adjustments that appear regressive but often help such ideals to be more realized and better actualized.

83:8.9 (930.5) Twentieth-century marriages stand high in comparison with those of past ages, notwithstanding that the home institution is now undergoing a serious testing because of the problems so suddenly thrust upon the social organization by the precipitate augmentation of woman’s liberties, rights so long denied her in the tardy evolution of the mores of past generations.

Me here: So...increasing equal rights, protections, and the social empowerment of women has freed them to delay and avoid and terminate undesirable pairings and such emancipation is creating a reformation of the family dynamic. Freedom from the unrighteous domination of fathers and husbands as property, without personal freedom of choice and opportunity, results in fewer "ideal" family units (hardly truly ideal without freewill) but those which are then created voluntarily actually become more "ideal" as socializing family units.

8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 855 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57